• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transom savers

jiggin9

What brand of transom saver has worked out the best? I'm not sure of the brand name that came with my boat but its the the two arm angled version that you rotate to release under the trailer. The motor deforms the rubber gasket and ends up not supporting the motor like it should. It ends up turned one way instead of straight on like I want it to. I've been looking at the Attwood brand that has the single arm support lately. I only have a 90 hp Merc so it's nothing too out of the ordinary. I've tried adjusting the trim with little to no luck. Any comments or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Wedges still put preasure on the transom. I like my screw in type transom saver. Easy on and off and works great. Mine is a panther I think and its very strong. I have had to replace the rubber gasket that goes on the lower unit but that was after 4 years of use.

Wedges still put preasure on the transom. I like my screw in type transom saver. Easy on and off and works great. Mine is a panther I think and its very strong. I have had to replace the rubber gasket that goes on the lower unit but that was after 4 years of use.

Rod style (trailer to lower unit) transom savers don't take significant pressure off the transom either, they really only serve to keep the motor from rotating and torquing the transom to pieces.

I prefer the my-wedge, it translates the force of the engine a bit lower on the boat transom while keeping rotations down too. Rod type savers place more engine force on the hinge point. Your boat is essentially designed to carry the engine load at the point of the hydraulic ram.

4x4 and bungie. So far doing it since 87-97 with 90hp and since 97 on current boat. Basically same thing as the mywedge, from what I can tell. Takes pressure off hydraulics - all pistons. Transome still strong and not twisted under the 150.

But everybody has their likes wink

Thanks for the replies everyone. I checked out the m-y wedge HSOforum. They seem pretty legit. I'm going to try one out.

lindy rig- I'm no expert (see original post) but I think they are worth it for most situations. I hate looking in the rear view mirror and seeing your motor doing the ride for life. I look at it as cheap insurance for both your motor and boat transom. Especially if you trailer your boat a lot.

Quote:
Rod style (trailer to lower unit) transom savers don't take significant pressure off the transom either, they really only serve to keep the motor from rotating and torquing the transom to pieces.
Lets look into this a bit deeper fishwater. I agree the rod style keeps the motor from rotating and torquing the transom and I also believe it does transmit more weight to the pivot point. I believe this is what we want. The rod style focuses the energy from a bump to go vertically essentially dispersing the energy trough the whole transom.

I feel the wedge disperses the energy to a localised area of the transom rather than dispersing the energy vertically. The wedge, I feel, disperses that energy vertical and horizontally essentially like putting a log chain in the center of the transom pulling top of the transom out and down.

You are right these transoms are designed to carry the load and as we all can agree any kind of help or preventative measures to protect the transome is a good thing. The long standing debate of which kind of help is best will go on.

Both do a good job at protecting the hydraulics and anything that keeps the motor from bouncing around is a very good thing.

FWIW- I built mine. It's stupid simple if you have access to some stuff. A chunk of 14 ga - 1" tube is all they really are. Weld a "V" formed piece of flat bar to one end, and make a holder for the other end to slide into the trailer.

10-15 bucks at the most, if you have access to a welder and 10 minutes. I'm all about saving big money and building my own stuff. If you have access to stuff these things can be made very easily.

lindy rig- I'm no expert (see original post) but I think they are worth it for most situations. I hate looking in the rear view mirror and seeing your motor doing the ride for life. I look at it as cheap insurance for both your motor and boat transom. Especially if you trailer your boat a lot.

Even if you don't have power tilt?

I just added one on my trailer (Attwell). My motor does not have tilt/trim. I figured where on the trailer to place it so it goes on straight to the motor. I figure it is cheap insurance for the transom.