• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I picked a few early ones on the 4th when I was up north of Grand Rapids. It's quite a haul from Little Bohemia, right Cribbageboy? I'll be up in the arrowhead a week from tonight so I'm hoping to get a few there before they are all gone. I know there were some bears up there last time so hopefully they haven't eaten them all.

Well I guess so! Small world. Lived there from '96 to '08 when I graduated. Not actually in New Prague though. Closer to St. Patrick. Great place. I don't get back there nearly as much as I should anymore. cry

Even a blind squirrel get's to find a nut once in awhile, so they say. I went out last Friday looking for blueberry's and accidentally stumbled on the Mother Lode of all blueberry patche's! Blueberry's galore! Everywhere I looked! shocked Nearly had to pinch myself. Don't bother asking where! Wild horse's won't drag the location out of me! I managed to fill a 5 quart ice cream pail in no time at all! The only hint I'll divulge is that it is somewhere North of Highway 70! grin 1DIRTBALL wink

Even a blind squirrel get's to find a nut once in awhile, so they say. I went out last Friday looking for blueberry's and accidentally stumbled on the Mother Lode of all blueberry patche's! Blueberry's galore! Everywhere I looked! shocked Nearly had to pinch myself. Don't bother asking where! Wild horse's won't drag the location out of me! I managed to fill a 5 quart ice cream pail in no time at all! The only hint I'll divulge is that it is somewhere North of Highway 70! grin 1DIRTBALL wink

Sounds like my old man and mom ran into a similar situation today in the Leech Lake area. More blueberries than he knew what to do with. He said there were quite a few that have fallen off, quite a few that were ripe, and still a bunch of green ones. Probably somewhere near the middle of harvest?

Other than the BWCA, this is the first time we've found them in the wild.

Also found a wild raspberry patch earlier in the summer - between those, blueberrys and morels in the spring I've gotten into more of this gathering concept!

Had some luck at the cabin near Hovland with the blueberries. Not much into picking them, too much work for the results but they do add a good flavor to pancakes. I did get into the raspberries, though. Man, I love those things. They were all over the place.

i have wild rasberries here in andover on my property and still ready to pick even after picking many. some "tame" ones too. i thought maby up there they would ripen now or a little later but what do i know. its been a wierd year. more rain than last year and warmer. no-not global warming. but here comes the pies. good luck.

Just had some fresh raspberry pie yesterday! OMG it was awesome! I'm very fortunate in that I have wild raspberry's growing down both side's of my yard. They also grow all the way around my big propane tank. More of 'em than I know what to do with. My wife finally begged me not to pick anymore. But when I think about how good that pie was... Maybe I should just look for a different wife, eh? laugh 1DIRTBALL wink

Just got back from the Gunflint Trail, at the end of the trail where the Ham Lake fire went through....you could park anywhere, walk out, and stumble into the biggest berry patches you'd ever see...these things were as large as domestic fertilizer fed berries. Bear hunting is going to be tough this year with all the berries out there. If you're in the neighborhood, head up there. They will go fast in the hot weather.

1blueberries.jpg

The raw berries before cleaning.

5blueberries.jpg

A cleaned batch.

21blueberries.jpg

Wednesday morning's take (4 hours)

25blueberrypie.jpg

The Payoff!

awesome pics, just left the gunflint trail about 2 hours ago and we have the little ford focus packed with blue berries. 2nd best season i've ever seen it as far as size and qauntity. the 2008 summer still ranks as the best i've seen, but this year is close.

cj

I picked 2 ice cream pails of blueberries Saturday morning.

Took about 2 1/2 hours. There are two farms right next to

each other south of Grand Rapids on 169. You can't miss

the signs. Plenty of nice big berries. easy picking. Two more

weeks and they are done. First time I done this.

They open at 8:00am. Best early before sun cooks ya