• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing old Mexico

Cooter

Anywhere from $1000 to $2000 per person plus airfare. Around the 2nd week of May the fishing gets unbelievable at El Salto. The commercial nets come out around May 1st. Stays that way until July if you can handle the heat. The rainy season is usually late July until October.

and the cartel are always ready for a good fight. i live less than 2 hrs from mexico and would not take a million bucks to go there right now. i do not think there is a safe place in mexico, rocky point was the place to go from az however they just killed several police officers there so that will put the outs on the beach.

For what it's worth: I spend winters in AZ and wander around down that way a lot. I would not DREAM of crossing the border and I don't CARE what somebody tries to tell me about how SAFE it is. Year before last three people were killed sitting at a table in a little restaurant where we regularly had great lunches. They weren't doing anything wrong; clearly were not bandits or villains. BUT they were in the wrong place at the wrong time

And ya know what; right now the WRONG place can be ANYPLACE and the wrong time can be the day YOU are there.

The drug wars are going on at the border for drug trafficing routes. When you go to a place like el salto they pick you up at the airport in mazatlan and drive you to the gated resort within a few miles of the lake. Some resorts are right on the lake. Don't you think drug dealers have something better to do than hunt down fisherman? These trips are all inclusive and are paid for in advance. The only need for cash is to tip the staff. What are they going to do, attack the fishing resort and steal your senkos??

We just went to El Salto in April and someone from my pregnant wifes work actually told her we better not go because they might attack her and cut the baby out of her stomach. So you tell me, are they crazier here or there?

If you're worried about the crime issues down in mexico try and book a trip to Falcon or Amistad instead. I personally would probably go down to Mexico. Its amazing down there! I fished Lake Comedero a few years ago and a friend and I were fishing and bank on the lake and my dad and brother were on the same bank a few hundred yards up. we saw a boat with 2 guys pull up to them and thought oh [PoorWordUsage]!! then they left a few minutes later and started coming down our way...i looked back at the boat and both guys were carrying AK-47's with bandoliers of ammo around their shoulders...lets just say i didnt look at them very long!! they actually just pulled up to my dad and brothers boat to ask for a couple of beers haha!!! my brother and dad didnt hesitate to give them what they had

If you're worried about the crime issues down in mexico try and book a trip to Falcon or Amistad instead.

I guess you haven't heard about the bass fisherman who was attacked by pirates on the US side of Falcon a month ago. And the drug trafficking that happens daily out there.

For me, the one that your still alive when the trip is done..

I am not ready to die yet.. Having waAAAaaaAAAyyyy to much fun here in MN. Granted I have not caught any 10lb bass.. but in the last 4 days I have 7 fish over 4.5lbs.. maybe I just set my standards too low.. but thats still fun.. And I may have spent $50 on gas in the last week. Not $2K on a trip to Mexico.

I would say the best lake down there is probably Lake Baccarac. The reports from this lake are unbelieveable!!! This place is quite expensive though and I think its quite the journey to get there. Go to the HSOforum and check out the reports. Lake baccarac lodge dot com. I would say El Salto would be the next best. Commedero use to be amazing but has went a little down hill. My dad had went there for 7 years straight and biggest one went 11lbs. He did have one day were he caught 42 bass over 7lbs. How awesome would that be!!

I fished El Salto in March on a day trip while on a vacation in Mazatlan. It was $550 US, plus equipment rental $70 per person, plus a $60 dollar tip for 2 people. We caught tons of fish, somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 fish for myself and girlfriend! Only 5 over 5lbs for myself as far as big fish goes. However 2 other boats in our group caught a 8.9. 9, and 12.5lb HOG! Best advice I can give is bring your own reels, the one's the guide service provided were junk. The only thing we fished from sun up to sun down was Senko's wacky rigged. The guide service had plenty of tackle, but used exposed 4/0 EWG hooks and every other cast we were snagged on standing timber, next time I will bring some weed guard hooks and O-rings for rigging, less snags=more fish!!