• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris 550 or 850XP

Carpenter

I'm thinking about selling my 05 Sportsman 500 HO & 03 Griz 660. Which of the new popo's do you guys recommend or have experience with? I don't typically like or need to go 60 on my wheeler. I like to trail ride, get muddy, ice fish & plow when it snows. That's about it. Any thoughts on the power steering?

Thanks,

[NOTE FROM ADMIN: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank You]

We have a 550 and didn't get the power stearing, because it stears so much better then the 500 sportsman that we didn't think it was worth the extra money. The dealer told us that the 550 will stear 38% easier then the sportsman without the powersearing. We test drove both, and there was a difference, but the new stearing was so much nicer then the 500 that we were sold right off the bat! Oh yeah we were also told that the power steaering doesn't work very well after it gets wet and then freezes. Don't know if that is true or not but the mechanic told us that.

they are great machines fit and finish, and I love how narrow the ergonomic are with the motor turned. its much easier to navigate and hug the machine with your legs on off camber terrain etc.

You guys dont forget that the only benefit of power steering isnt for just turning the bars easier, but it also acts as a great steering stabilizer. Ever been riding and had the bars ripped from your hands from rocks, stumps etc, this will also eliminate that.

good luck with your purchase, have fun

That's good info. Thank you. Anyone have experience or look at the CanAm machines? Someone recommended them but I don't have any experience there.

Best machine on the market.....most power, great handling....and a V-TWIN motor!! BUT......be ready to fork out some extra money cause they are expensive!! Have you ridden any other machines???

That's good info. Thank you. Anyone have experience or look at the CanAm machines? Someone recommended them but I don't have any experience there.

I have 2 800's and absolutely love them. The fit and finish is fantastic. I have had just about every brand of atv and these are by far my choice. But that is my opinion, as most have mentioned you need to get out and ride them all!

they are growing on me, but they have really weak frames and I am not a fan of the viseco lock 4wd system other than that they put the fun factor in a utility quad if thats what your looking for

exhibit A, a can-am frame the first pic before reenforcement:

can_am_frame_mod.jpg

and then after

can_am_frame_mod2.jpg

its a shame to spend all that money but have the frame fold like a banana, or worse yet, have to spend even more money to make it as strong as the others. not to mention NO factory skit plates unlike all the other makes

CAN AM OUTLANDER! best machine on the market for sure. yes, expensive, but if you look at the polaris 850, the prices aren't much different, and you get sooooo much more with the outlander. xt edition comes with front and rear bumpers, 3000 pound winch, great tires with big lugs for the mudd, can still upgrade on the tires... but they're good, AND most powerfull v twin engine in the industry, 71 HP!! can't beat a can am.

yeah i've heard the frames are a little weak... but i haven't had any problems, and the little cost to fix that is still worth the price of having the best machine out there!!

yeah i've heard the frames are a little weak... but i haven't had any problems, and the little cost to fix that is still worth the price of having the best machine out there!!

I did this to mine but not my wife's. Its a pretty easy fix. $30 and an hour of your time and she's rock solid.