• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat trailering question

Rough_Fish

I have a 2000 Alumacraft Trophy 165 with a ShoreLand'r roller trailer that I purchased as my first boat used, last year. My problem is that it is extremely tough to winch onto the trailer. I have to give everything I have to winch it in, even bending the handle one time because it comes in so tough. The person I bought the boat from had just bought the trailer used (1994) before I got the boat and maybe it is possible it is not set up correctly? The trailer is definitely the correct length, but I am wondering if the rollers are set up correctly? There is one set of rollers toward the back of the trailer, and then just the rubber rollers that run down the middle. Should there be another set toward the front or middle? Like I said this is my first boat, but I am thinking it should not be this hard to crank in. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks

I back the trailer into the water until the back rollers are just barely sticking out of the water. If I back it in any further, it seems like the boat won't trailer into the center as it is then floating yet.

It sounds like you either have a winch that is too high of gear ratio, something is screwed up in the winch(binding), the rollers are worn out, or the rollers aren't quite setup correctly.

Depth of trailer shouldn't have that much effect on a roller trailer, unless it were way out of the water and its needing to lift the boat up and over the rollers.

If possible, raise the rear rollers up slightly so the keel of the boat is not touching the center rollers, they don't seem to like much weight on them and should only be used as a guide and to protect the boat from crossmembers.

Also, next time you load the boat, if you can, pull the boat up and leave it a foot or two from its home position and CAREFULLY drive to a flat area in the parking lot and see if it gets any easier to winch up. If it doesn't change at all you can narrow it down to either the rollers aren't setup right, they are damaged, or the winch is damaged. If it makes it much easier, I would say the gear ratio in the winch is too high.

Also be sure you don't have a two speed winch and its set on high speed.

I think you might want to play with it a bit and may try backing in just a little more each time and see if you can find the sweet spot. Again I haven't used a roller trailer.

One other I should have asked I guess is are all of the rollers free spinning? None of them are stuck?

I think you might want to play with it a bit and may try backing in just a little more each time and see if you can find the sweet spot.

That's not the problem. A boat that size shouldn't be tough to crank onto a roller trailer. I have a similarily sized boat on a roller trailer and just have the back rollers in the water. I crank it up pretty much one-handed.

How does the winch turn without a load?

The next time you have the trailer empty, check all your rollers to make sure they turn freely. Maybe you've got some that are worn out and frozen. Lubricate your winch and check it over carefully. Maybe the bearings/bushing are dry or worn out.

Thanks for all the advice. Winch turns well under no load, but I will check to see if it is 2 speed. I also will check the rubber rollers down the center, but I'm pretty sure the 2 sets of side rollers are free. If all else fails, I'll take it to a dealer I guess. Thanks.

If you have worn out bearing or bushing surfaces, it may not show with no load. As soon as you load it down, that's when the problem is likely to show itself because things will bind more.

Works great for me. Have been doing it on a roller trailer since 1997. I bought this neet little spring loaded pin thingy from bass pro and when you drive the boat up it locks the pin in the front loop. Best $50.00 I ever spent.

Yes, you can powerload a boat onto a roller trailer but that's getting this thread off topic. Rough_Fish clearly has a problem with his trailer, and while power-loading would be a decent work around, it doesn't address his specific problem.

Follow everyone's advice and test the rollers and the winch. If anything, you could buy a new winch since they aren't that expensive. It might be time if yours is covered with rust. Obviously if that doesn't solve the problem then you've got rollers that need to be replaced.

If you have worn out bearing or bushing surfaces, it may not show with no load. As soon as you load it down, that's when the problem is likely to show itself because things will bind more.

I agree with Bob, check the rollers as they sound to be binding up.

You can drop it on the ground, or on a old tire or something, what I'd recommend is taking it to a slower boat access, dump the boat in the water and pull it up on shore while you check over your trailer out of the water. I'd take a look at the trailer and figure out what tools you might need and tackle it one night... if you had help it would probably go pretty quick!

marine_man

Any ideas on methods of getting it off the trailer in the yard or garage while I work on the trailer?

Back the boat up to a solid object (large tree, another vehicle, etc.). Tie the stern up to said object with a sturdy rope or chain. Begin to pull the trailer out from under the boat and when a sufficent amount of the boat is hanging off the trailer, and block up the stern. Slowly pull the trailer out enough to block up the bow. Pull the trailer out the rest of the way.

To put boat back on trailer, attach winch strap to boat and while someone is slowly backing the trailer up, winch the boat on at the same time.

Does the boat roll off of the trailer easily when launching at the ramp? If the boat rolls off easily it is likely not a roller issue.

Cranking the winch without any load will not really provide an indication of a winch problem. Try cranking the winch with somebody holding the strap to put some pressure on it.

I think FunFish just solved my problem. I have to bust my nut to get the thing off the trailer also . . . . but being a rookie boat owner, I guess I never thought anything of it. I just figured the boat is heavy and I need to give her he!! to get it off. I'll check the center rollers and probably replace and see how that goes. Thanks again for all the help. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Does the boat roll off of the trailer easily when launching at the ramp? If the boat rolls off easily it is likely not a roller issue.

FunFish beat me to it. I was just going to ask that question.

Anyone know what works good for getting the rollers to roll better? I noticed that my boat doesn't roll off as easily as it used too. I thought someone told me silicon spray.

Nels

Have you tried to just drive it on the trailer? Far less cranking involved that way...

This is my ??? Why not drive it on, back the trailer in till the rear two rollers are just under water, line her up and drive her on. I have a set of rollers on my Shorelander and a forward center yoke saddle, get it centered and drive it right up to the strap (my kid picked it up right quick) one guy on the ramp.... 1.5 mins and down the road.....When I am by myself some people ask if they can help and I say "I got it"... They are impressed how easy it really is. Practice makes perfect my friend. When I go the wench it is to set the boat in the front roller and secure the safty chain

Practice, GL

This wasn't a question about whether it would be easier or better or faster to powerload. It was a maintenance question and I don't think we need to steal this thread any further into another powerload vs. hand load debate. We've had plenty of them. If you're interested, search one of them out and read to your heart's content.