• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what is a good starter camera

I have been wanting to get into doing photography for awhile now, my question is what would be a good camera to start with? I know this is not an easy question but I just wanted some input by the experts. I was thinking of focusing on outdoor photography and some action photos too. I would like to keep it affordable and I am sure I will have to buy accessories also. Should I look at buying a kit or used camera from websites or new in the stores? any help is appreciated.

so would the cannon EOS digital rebel Xsi SLR a better camera then the Canon Digital Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera the have the kits on amason and I was reading the links from the previous post that lead me to that.

I got some great advice from my thread that Dbl referenced for you. Though I shoot a DSLR at my job, its pretty much at a set setting, and would consider myself a beginner. I think a 50D would be a good option, at least I found it was for me. Good thing is you can get a good used one for a pretty decent price as many Canon owners are swapping out their 50Ds for the new 7d. You'll get a lot more camera than you will with the Rebel line. Make sure you pair it up with good glass that will accomodate your shooting needs. Search the big auction site that starts with an 'E' and you'll get plenty of options both new and used.

Good luck.

Instead of using the big "E". I along with most of the other canon shooters on this site will recommend photography on the net dot com. It is a great site with a huge buy sell board often times with some great deals if you watch for more than a couple days. Between there and this site I have learned more than I can handle at times!

As mentioned above...often times the bodies are similar in photo quality but the glass is where the big difference may happen. Glass if taken care of will hold its resale value a while (especially if its an L). I have switched over to almost all L series glass and couldn't be much happier.

Frankly I would avoid that site with the "E", especially for someone new to the DSLR world. There are two VERY reputable sites that are hands down the best to buy used equipment from. Fred Miranda (my personal favorite by far) and Photography on the Net and of course here when a member puts up equipment for sale. Both sites greatly reduce any issues of dealing with used equipment because they are built around sellers reputations. There is nothing wrong with buying used equipment, if you have a good idea of what you are buying and you ask the right questions, true of most anything but important with camera gear.

We all get excited when thinking of buying a new camera but I would urge you to take your time. Spend some research time on the net, reading and soaking up information. One of the big mistakes I often see is buying what you suddenly find out you didn't need or finding something that doesn't work for what you are trying to shoot.

The important thing is to set your budget, try and determine how you will use that equipment and finally seeing what equipment will fill that need. It really is tough to give good advice until you have some time to sort through some of the mryid of options out there. Rest assured there are plenty of folks who can help guide you along the way here, once you spend some time sorting through some of that information.

my main focus is in the outdoors, be it wildlife, flowers (for the wife of course) or landscapes. I will be taking some of my kids playing baseball, and some indoor stuff. Does anyone have any used equipment for sale? I looked in the classifieds but didnt see anything. I have already learned a lot by reading through the other posts and reviewing the sites recommended. thanks a bunch.

I do have about 1200 burning a hole in my pocket. I know I will need to buy accessories to though. I wanted to get setup with a good body a wide lens and a zoom lens. It sounds like the 55-250 is a good option for the 50D. Otherwise I had been starting to look at the D90 from Nikon also.

I was playing with the nikon D90 and the cannon 50D today. I am going to go with the Cannon. I guess I was a little slow to get Finnbays, but I am figuring out what I need to get setup. Where is a good place to get an affordable memory card? I was at BB tonight and they are $170 for a 8GB. Are the camera "kits" off the E auction site a scam, not that I am buying a camera off there but they are so much cheaper, are they new or refurbished? I was looking on the POTN and Fred Miranda sites and it seems there are plenty of cameras to choose from.

Good to see you take your time frogtosser, as you saw there is plenty to choose from out there. The auctions on "E" are normally not legit prices. Often they will force you to call to verify at which time your item will now be "out of stock" and an up sell is pushed. Often times they are also "grey" market items which means you will not have a valid warranty in the US. If you are going to buy on line B&H Photo, Adorama, Canoga Camera, Samy's, Roberts Imaging are a few highly regarded sites which you can have complete faith in buying from.

Most of the above mentioned sites will have memory card deals as well, just keep an eye out for current promotions. The last 8gig Sandisk III card I bought was less than $50 with rebates. The speed of the card is what will drive the price up. The faster the speed the higher the price.

my g10 takes good photos but the lens is getting scratched by the retractable cover from time to time. I was going to send it in when it was new but the photo quality was still good. Soon with all the scratches I will need to buy a new camera.

OBVIOUS design flaw.

So I ended up picking up a 50D off potn and am waiting for it in the mail. For starting out what would be a couple basic lenses that I need? Is the 28-135 a good starter, should I get the nifty fifty, when would I need the 55-250 everyone likes?

Ft, your bases will be covered for now with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and the 55-250 IS. The Tammy (non-IS version) can be had off potn for around $325, but you have to keep your eyes peeled because they go fast. It's a darn sharp and excellent lens, and is designed specifically for the 1.6 crop sensor Canons. The copy I shot was even a bit sharper than my $700 Canon 17-40L, and you get that extra f-stop opening to f2.8 instead of the f4 of the 17-40. The Tammy is one of the hands-down best values for anyone shooting with your sized sensor. While you're waiting for one of those, I'd go ahead and pick up the 55-250 so you can get going.

With those two lenses, depending on your photography needs, you may never buy another lens.

Have fun! smile