• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Amsoil

I have a 1999 175 Ficht that has been fed nothing but XD 50 since new. The price of that oil is getting up there to the point that I am considering trying something less expensive. My question is this. Has anybody who runs or has run Amsoil in their motor had a problem that was caused by the oil? I am looking at using HP Injector.

This is my 3rd season running hp injector. No problems to speak of. I spend a fair amount of time trolling cranks with my main motor and it doesnt seem to load up, even after downrigging/idleing for 8+ hrs a day.

98' Johnson 115 2-stroke.

I've been running the HP Injector in my 225 Ficht for 3 years now. Runs great and no smoke or smell. I wouldn't be afraid of Amsoil, good product.

Dean

I've been toying with the idea of trying synthetic for my outboard. Mine is a 1998 Johnson 90hp with oil injection. I followed the link to Oilman's HSOforum but there are so many lubricants to choose from I couldn't really figure out what I would need. I tried to use the "contact us" link and send an email but got an error message.

Are there risks involved to switching in an old motor like this?

What are the advantages of using synthetic over petroleum? It is about three times the cost so I need to justify that as well.

Thanks,

Bob, To see cost savings you would either have to pre-mix at a lower oil to gas ratio or modify your injection system to use less oil. The engine's system does not care about the quality of the oil, it just pumps the same amount through, so your operation costs would be directly proportional to the cost of the oil.

The advantage to the synthetics are that they burn cleaner and lubricate better, so that they can safely be mixed at lower ratios.

I can't answer that one with science, Bob. However the first thing I noticed after switching over to Amsoil was WAY less smoke in my 87 Johnson. I'm not talking a little less, I'm talking a lot less. So, I'll go there and say yeah, it's better for Mother Nature.

I've also had much better cold starting (she's a cold blooded motor) and a bit more power. This is on a pre-mix motor and not oil injected.

BobT, sorry about the problem. I've had some problems with links from here on hotspotoutdoors, and I'll go recheck the links in my site too.

Today's lubricants have gotten more confusing. With the government and EPA different 2-cycle lubes are required - air cooled, water cooled, power valve, and more.

The AMSOIL for the 2-cycle outboards is the HP Injector (this link should go direct to the HP Injector info page). The AMSOIL will run nearly smokeless in most engines, reduces emissions by at least 65% compared to petroleum based lubes, runs slicker reducing wear and many times gives an extra 100 top end rpm or more.

With older engines? -- If you have been using the lowest priced oils, you may have carbon buildup; if excessive the AMSOIL will clean it out, but it may come loose in chunks and hang or plug the exhaust port and cause scoring. If higher carbon is suspected you should have it decarboned first. If you have been using quality petroleum lubes this rarely is a problem, and you can change over with no problem.

How to change? -- Never take a chance of running out of oil! Many oil injection tanks are difficult and nearly impossible to drain, or at the least very sloppy. Most run until the old oil gets down to the warning level, then fill the tank with your new HP Injector. AMSOIL will mix, but it is best to minimize the mixing.