• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bowfishing-bad habits formed?

My youngest son wants to try bowfishing, so I set up his bow, along with one of my old ones. Has anyone noticed if it promotes bad shooting form? I didn't put a peep on mine, shot fingers instead of normal release, and just the "quick draw,not picking a hair but flinging an arrow at an object" style of it may promote "punching the trigger" and bad form in general? I got this in my head just after shooting at a target 10 times to set up. Maybe once out in the boat it's going to be different? Or does one need to set the bow up the same as hunting bow in terms of a release,sights ect.., and treat every shot with the respect that whitetails deserve? I know "flock shooting" won't give very good results while shooting at carp, but it seems that mentality wouldn't be hard to pick up. Looking for advice from those that want to stay consistant in their form, but also like to shoot some carp.

If you want to be sucessfull @ bowfishing you need to aim, you need to "pick a spot" the same as you would with anything else. Bowfishing is a different type of shooting, but it is still archery, and all the archery rules still apply.

Focus intently on your target and you will put your arrow there. Blindly flinging arrows at fish as they swim by will greatly limit your success, and your enjoyment of the sport.

I treat Bow fishing completely different than deer hunting. Use different bow, arrow, no sights, no release. I shoot instinctively for bowfishing. It just seems easier ad quicker to get the shot off. It hasnt affected how I hunt and shoot deer, especially if you have already trained with your deer bow.

bowfishing is great for working the muscles, but form is different, releasing is different, and so is anchoring.

I shoot fingers, no sights, no release. never bothered my target shooting or deer hunting

I think the more you keep the set ups different, the less cross over problems you'll have. Keeping fingers on your bow rig and snap shooting will likely have little impact on your target/hunting bow that you're shooting with a release. My brother is the best archer I know (by a long shot) and he bowfishes every chance he gets- doesn't seem to cause any problems for him.