• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hossa NOT Suspended!

OnAFly

Straight from Colin Campbell's mouth:

"This play is distinguishable from recent incidents by a number of factors, including the degree of contact involved; the fact that the consequences of the play do not appear to be as severe; that this was a hockey play involving a race for the puck; that Mr. Hossa is not a repeat offender and that the call of a major penalty by the Referee was significant and appropriate."

There are two major problems with this reasoning.

1. "the fact that the consequences of the play do not appear to be as severe"

So as long as my dirty play doesn't severely injure someone, it's OK?

2. "that Mr. Hossa is not a repeat offender"

So, he is not suspended because he hasn't been suspended before? What does he have to do to get suspended the first time? Kill a guy?

Colin Campbell's complete lack of consistency and severeness of suspensions is a joke and downright dangerous. I'm sorry, but you can't not suspend a guy for pushing someone into the boards while they are going full speed. I don't care what his reputation is.

I agree, an injury should not matter. If there are two similar plays they should be given equal punishment. I can understand somewhat taking a players history into account but I am sick of the star players getting a slap on the wrist (Pronger or Ovechkin for example) while everyone else is treated the same or given huge punishments base more on reputations instead of actions.

Yeah, I agree on the star players getting a slap on the wrist. I guess I was getting at the whole, "he hasn't been suspended before so we can't suspend him now" excuse for not suspending star players.

I think it's a great thing to look at when trying to find a suitable suspension length, but not when you are deciding to suspend someone or not.

I agree, an injury should not matter. If there are two similar plays they should be given equal punishment. I can understand somewhat taking a players history into account but I am sick of the star players getting a slap on the wrist (Pronger or Ovechkin for example) while everyone else is treated the same or given huge punishments base more on reputations instead of actions.

Ovechkin did get suspended twice this year (deservedly so), one of which was from this exact same type of hit, against chicago no less and was based on past history according to Campbell. From what I've seen, it has less to do with star players, and more to do w/ which teams the NHL wants to see advance in the playoffs (look at all the junk that the penguins get away with, especially Cooke, or Gonchar against the Wild). Chicago going far into the playoffs will help the NHL get more viewers than Nashville would, hence you will see them get the favorable calls etc. This is the biggest reason that I've almost completely given up watching NHL hockey. It's the same garbage every year.

That's unfortunately too true. Look at the NHL owned Coyotes and Jovanovsky's concussion inducing elbow he likes to throw around. For some reason it always get overlooked.

This is one of the biggest problems with the NHL. Campbell should not have his job and should definitely never be considered for jury duty!

I guess I couldn't disagree more with you conspiracy guys.

I'll go watch the hit again but it seemed like more of wreck than anything else. I didn't think a suspension was warranted and I hate the Hawks and hope they lose.

Of course injury does and should play a role in the suspensions.

I'll hang up listen!

Typical dirty hit-from-behind by a visor-wearing euro

Another strong argument for getting rid of no-touch icing, getting rid of the trapezoid and getting rid of the fighting instigator rule

Sadly someone is going to die from a dirty hit and then the league will change the rules

Is anybody in here from Wisconsin? That way you could bring a little cheese to this "whine" fest! I don't think that one play was the reason the Hawks eliminated the Preds, maybe, just maybe, the better team won? And they had to endure three bogus penalties back to back to back in the third period when the refs were trying their level best to get the game tied up and get a game seven back to Chicago. Better team won, build a fence and get over it!

You know I didn't even look at the hit in question but I just think overall the NHL needs to show some consistency. I don't really care what the punishments are but if you are going to have rules enforce them evenly to all.

On one hand you have enforcers getting big suspensions for the same thing all starts get a slap on the wrist for. Then on the other hand you have examples of all stars getting suspended for playing hockey while thugs get nothing for obvious intent to injure plays. Its like there is no rhyme or reason for anything.

WCWH - Not saying that the Hawks weren't the better team. Watching the games and looking at the records, they are the better team.

I'm not saying that all Euro players are cheap hacks. They aren't. Look at Lidstrom. Probably one of the most respectable guys in hockey. Both continents have their fair share of dirty players.

I'm saying he clearly "helped" a guy into the boards going full speed. I'm pretty sure his arm wasn't there to pull Hamhuis (SP?) back from the wall and for that I think he should sit a game considering how dangerous a play that was.

What I'm getting at is CC's ridiculous reasoning for not handing out a suspension.

I watched it a few times, and I guess I have to agree that a typically clean player shouldnt be suspended. Or maybe what I should say is that I feel a dirty player should be suspended for that hit, and the other 90% of the league shouldnt be. Just for the reason of trying to keep it clean, calm down crowd, and calm down the players. Can you imagine is Cooke came into the Xcel and did that to Kiovu, suspension time. Now how about if Kiouvu did that to Cooke, maybe not as bad then.

The hit wasnt horrible, but when you are in the NHL you should no better than to even make that contact on that play. You have to know what can happen. If you make contact, you have to do what some of the Deman do, clutch and ride into the boards.

This is one more example of why I don't like the trapezoid rule.....putting the D into situations like this is just asking for more serious injuries. There was no icing on the play, the goalie would have had ample time to control the puck or dump it around the boards.

Is the Blackhawk Bandwagon giving free rides or what? whistle

This is one more example of why I don't like the trapezoid rule.....putting the D into situations like this is just asking for more serious injuries. There was no icing on the play, the goalie would have had ample time to control the puck or dump it around the boards.

Is the Blackhawk Bandwagon giving free rides or what? whistle

The Hawks have been giving free rides since 1961 and everyone who rides there wagon always falls off at the end of the year

This has got nothing to do with the Hawks winning the series, it has to do with the lack of no-respect some players have and the harsh or not harsh suspensions that come down on certain players

Apparently Windy did not see the Campbell hit, looked almost identical

I lost all faith in Colin Campbell with the Gonchar elbow on Clutterbuck that was purely retaliatory. Absolutely disgusting hit and got overlooked because he wasn't a repeat offender. The NHL really needs to reconsider who and how suspensions are dealt with.