• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat lights

pow & legend

I just have a question about my 14 ft boat. I'm thinking about installing lights but i heard that with a boat under 16 ft only needs to have one navigation light. I looked around on the DNR HSOforum but couldn't find the law about that. Does anyone know that regulations on this? Thanks

If you plan on doing a fair amount of night fishing, it's just a good idea to have front and rear lights. More for someone else slamming into you than you slamming into someone else. (it happened to my cousin) You're not required to have them both on when not under power, but if a boat is coming at you after dark you'll be darn glad you have 2 lights to turn on.

It takes some close reading but all motorized boats this includes canoes with motors need to have lights if operated after dark. "In any case, the lights must be displayed according to state rules described in this section.*" from the boating guide.

Follow the 1st option for "boats under 40ft"

if you are going to the trouble of installing lights, how much more work would it be to run a second light? also with technology today, the use of low power LEd lights you could put them around the boat like a cattle hauler and not hardly draw on the battery. Figure the average led draws around 1/4-1/2 amp per light assembly you could go for quite some time without having to recharge. just seems the safest thing to me

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for the info guys. I thought about doing both anyways just because i've seen boats hit others in broad daylight. I heard from a buddy that I would only need one but for some reason that didn't seem right. I appreciate the help. That's why I enjoy this HSOforum as much as I do smile

Is it legal to have forward facing lights on while going across the lake? I have a buddy that says its legal and another one that says its not. I want to put lights on the front that will help me see out in front of my while going out to the duck blind in the morning.

Is it legal to have forward facing lights on while going across the lake? I have a buddy that says its legal and another one that says its not. I want to put lights on the front that will help me see out in front of my while going out to the duck blind in the morning.

i dont care the legality of this. i am going to be running big spot lights while on the river late at night also i use them while duck hunting. would rather get a ticket if its illegal than kill my self or a buddie becuase i ran into something

All boats need both a front bow Red/Green and a rear stern 360 light if to be used after dark.

The 360 rear light needs to higher than the highest point in the boat as to be unobstructed and visible.

Technically you only need the single stern 360 light on while anchored.

Once on the move or "under power" by means of power, sail, drift, or even the electric motor, you must also have the front Red/Green bow light on. Because the front Red/Green light indicated to others your path of moment, anytime your on the move, it needs to be on. If not on, it is assumed the vessel is at anchor and stationary under maritime law.

uH Oh, So i should probably wire my canoe for a light when duck hunting with a trolling motor...even though i've got spotlights? I've kinda figured that 2 million candle lumins would be more sufficient than the dinky red/green. Again, this is on low traffic duck hunting sloughs.

That sucks traveler.!

Edit, - I might have mistaken about lights not being required during duck season. I recall seeing that in past years you don't need lights while ducki', but I don't see it in current regs. So I won't say you don't need them wink We use ours anyway, and we use a spot light.

Just an idea, if you have a smaller boat, for ease of installation and maintenence, I prefer the portable clamp on lights, they have them in LED also which can give some serious run time on the internal batteries. plus they can be stored indoors when the boat is not in use or over the winter if the boat gets flipped for storage. great for canoes and smaller boats not to have to worry that the wires got messed up or switches got destroyed over the winter. and you can move them from boat to boat depending on the season.

Are the portable ones you're referring to the ones that are made out of plastic and run on 2 C or D batteries? (They look like flashlights basically.) Mine work but the lights flicker on and off way too much when I'm moving. The ones I have use a small bulb and not LED. Do they have better portable ones that are more reliable? Also not a huge fan of how flimsy the pole is for the white stern light on the one I have.

the old ones used the bigger batteries, they were kind of a pain, I didnt own any of those but they have definetly made them better. the LED ones I have run on 4 AA each. they are waterproof and compact, the AA bateries are much lighter than the old style so the weight of the light doesn't stress the clamp and I havent had any problems with them loosening on the road or buzzing across the lake pounding waves. I do take the stern light off when I trailer more than a few miles though.