• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Break in Period

MN Angler

I have heard many different views on the break in period of an ATV. I am picking up my new Arctic Cat 700 2009 this Saturday and was wondering what everyone believes is the best way to break in a new ATV?

Thanks

Ride it how you will normally be riding it!! Bought a foreman 450 about 10 years ago on the way to north dakota duck hunting and its break in period consisted of lots of pulling and lots of hard miles, the machine now has over 5000 miles on it and runs like a champ...or close to anyways! When i bought my kawi brute force 650 i rode it like i stole it and haven't had any problems with it yet!! Otherwise it should say in the owners manual how to break it in and it will say to baby it right away for a while which is fine too!!

Most manuals say to very speed for the first few hundred miles and no wide open runing during that time. Then make sure to make that first oil change as required! Have fun! wink

The basic break in is no big deal. Pretty much ride it like normal. The manual does recommend to break in the brakes differently though. It talks about stopping hard from like 30 mph a few times. Make sure you read that section and follow that.

When my Rubicon was new in '05 I followed the

Owners manual to a tee and in Jan of '10 with

almost 10k on it I traded it in and it still runs

like day one cool

It's a Great feeling never having to walk or be towed

back to camp smile

Just ride it casual as you should most days unless an unavoidable situation arises where you need to put the boots to her and have to ride it like you stole it , and the bike will last you many years and miles . Keep your eye on all fluids and change the oil regular .

My bike works hard and has taken some pounding when I had no choice but it has never been abused . Intentional abuse is like p1ssing money down the drain .

Congrats on your new ride and I hope it serves you well .

TD