• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota state record for white carp (question)

The only picture I have is on a disposable camera that rides around in my tackle boxs for moments like that, sorry. The best way I can describe it is it's color is similar to a big mouth (light metalic green on the top, silver and white under belly) It's got a short stubby head and a mouth like a drum (sheephead). The scales have the same perfect crisscross pattern like a carp, as long as it hasn't gotten too close to a prop grin. All fins are a dark gray. I'm positive it's not a sucker or a buffalo fish. Man I wish I had a picture available.

I have learned not to guess against Dtro.. as it usually turns out, he is right.

That would be the good ol kiss of death right there. laugh

I'm changing to Grass Carp smile

If we knew the size it would proabably narrow it down a bit, as Carpsuckers don't grow very big at all compared to other types of Carp. http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2059136/River_CarpSucker#Post2059136

Well if it was a quillback or carpsucker I easily crushed those records with a 9 pounder and guess what....I let it go.*^%$#! It definitely wasn't a "flying carp". All I have is a photo, weight, no length measurements, and now a memory.

I think grass carp are different than flying (bighead) carp, but I might be wrong.

Yup, there are Bighead Carp, Silver Carp, and Grass Carp. All seperate species of invasive asian carp. The Silvers are the ones that do most of the jumping, occasionaly injuring people. Bigheads jump too, but to a much lesser degree. I think there is a Black Carp as well, don't know if their in our waters here at all...

If his fish was 9 lbs, it could have been a massive Quillback, its possible. Way to big to be a River Carpsucker. Where was this fish caught? That might give us a better clue on species range alone. Could have been a Black Buffalo as well.

I caught it just above where the Zumbro river dumps into the Mississippi on pool 5. It slammed a crawler. It was plum full of eggs, guessing from the girth size. The eyes were above its mouth line, unlike the Asian carp.

Alright, heres a couple pics to check out. Kinda like IDing a criminal out of a line-up or something...

This first one is a Black Buffalo

black_buff_closeup.jpg

And this one is a Smallmouth Buffalo

smbuffZ.jpg

The Smallmouth Buffalo can be more emerald green in color from season to season, also color depends on water clarity alot too. Do either of these fish look like the culprit in question? Both of these fish would be found in the section of river you mentioned, along with just about everything else mentioned here.