• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vikings Flippin' Stick

Another recent build using a Rainshadow RX7 IFT904. Features a black flocked split grip handle and is spiral wrapped with micro running guides. I also created some wild Vikings decals above the reel seat and between the grips. It looks great with my black Quantum Code baitcasting reel.

RodbuilderPost-2.jpg

The micros are outstanding. They work great because they add such little weight to the end of the blank, letting the blank retain as much of it's sensitivity as possible. Unlike a lot of advertising you'll see, there's nothing a builder can do to increase the sensitivity of a rod. All you can do is retain as much as possible...and adding as little weight as possible to the blank helps, especially above the grip.

They also work for me because I don't have any knots to pass through them, I tie my jigs, etc, right to my spooled line. If I used a leader of some type with a swivel or a snap or whatever, I'd probably have to go to a size 5 or 6.

Another reason I use them is they get the line going in a straight line quickly and out the end of the tip top. One of the better analogies I've heard is to think of a .22 caliber bullet leaving the barrel. Does is travel better out of a .22 caliber barrel or would it travel better out of a .38 caliber barrel? There's more room in a .38 caliber barrel but the shot would not be very accurate and would definately loose some distance.

I think maybe some people don't like them because they haven't used them in the right situation or they just haven't even tried them.

My two cents.

Absolutely gorgeous Unfrozen!

Micro's are the way to go IMO. I won't use anything else on my personal rods any longer. I've even started stripping off the guides on all my existing rods and replacing them. The amount of weight they cut down compared to Fuji Alconites is amazing. And I love that they don't tangle with other rods on the deck and locker nearly as much. I haven't found a single problem with them other than in freezing weather they will ice up pretty fast, but that's kind of a given.

Sharp looking rod! Based on the Vikings history though i'd be worried about loosing big fish with it... whistlegrin

You guys with the micro guide experience: Whats you thoughts/feelings for useing them on spinning rods? Most of what I read has to do with casting rods...

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Makes no difference whether we're talking spinning or casting. The same principles apply. You need to use the smallest guides possible that allow you to perform the type of fishing you're building the rod for. If a size 6 is needed to pass any knots, bobber stops, etc, then that's what you should use. If a size 3 let's you accomplish your task, then that can be used.

I build my personal spinning rods using micro guides from the choker guide on up to the tip top.

Folke:

Very Nice...How'd you do the decals? I'm looking at doing a rod for my son with his school school emblems, and am having a hard time firguring out how to do this.

I've got a process that works quite well for me. If you'd like some help with your sons rod I'd be more than happy to assist you.

so haaad:

Very nice stuff. Is the "lightning" around the decal part of the logo or is it marbling?

It's part of the decal. The decal runs the entire length between the split grips.

Quote:
so haaad:

Very nice stuff. Is the "lightning" around the decal part of the logo or is it marbling?

It's part of the decal. The decal runs the entire length between the split grips.

I thought that was marbling with model paint. Nice decal.