• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

State High-school Hockey

scsavre

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Bemidji's problems start at the bottom or the youth level. That is where legit programs have the advantage and set the tone for a successful program.

Bemidji's youth hockey program is beginning to go down the right path. From mites - bantams, there are now, for the most part, really good youth coaches. They're, again for the most part, doing well in districts/regions. I really like the new(er) HS coach, Chido (sp) - I believe he'll eventually get them over the hump and beat TRF, Roseau, etc when it counts and get back to state.

Wade Chiodo...Getting to state is always tough but I believe Bemidji will be able to beat TRF, Roseau, Moorhead in years to come. Bemidji needs a player or two that Warroad, Roseau has- Goal Scorers/Play Makers. They could have beaten Roseau and TRF this year but came up short with 1 goal games each time.

I guess finding out about the northern schools recruiting, or whatever we wanna call it just makes me loose a little respect for them. Wasn't their enrollment and city size the reason so many people liked these schools anyway. I thought they didnt have to recruit. It was always a great story, a town of 3000 coming down to stp and being competitive. I guess if these kids are form all over, and Canada, it isnt the same for me.

Come on [pleasebecomeasponsor] its ok for the big city schools and privates but if the the small outstate schools who barely have enough numbers to field a JV team do it you lose respect for them. If it makes you feel better I think the Roseau team from a few years back was all home grown talent, but those kind of stories will become much harder to come by in the future. Especially when you have have a lot of these hockey super powers in the cities pulling in talent from all directions. Way back when northern hockey players had an advantage with longer winters and outdoor ice but these days kids are skating/training year round.

I will also point out Canadian hockey teams near the border play Minnesota teams all the way up the ranks so its really no different then some kids in the suburbs hopping the fence to play for the team next door. You have to realize this stuff is happening everywhere and has been for a long long time. Plenty of it going on back in the 80's, maybe the 70's too but I was too young.

I just think it takes a little away from the feel/story for me. Not a big deal, just a little different. I guess I didnt know Chido was the coach up there. He is a very nice kid and seems like he could be a good coach. I was friends with him when i went to school there. I remember working with him taking docks in and out in the spring and summer for tim Faulk.

I guess when i played there werent really many kids switching schools. For the most part you couldnt.

Go Pioneers.

Did anyone else see the Alex kid wipe out trying to stop during the introductions?!? Poor kid. Every kid fears it, but this may be the first time that it's actually happened. He's going to be razzed by his buddies for years. sick

breck up 9 to 0 in the second??? i don't want to pi$$ in anyone's wheaties but shouldn't a private school with a strong hockey program year after year play in the AA tournament? i suppose the same could be said about st. thomas. i guess it's a choice they have the right to make. things that make you go hmmmmm???

I believe Warroad made the switch to A when their enrollment dropped to 200 students. At that time I think it was mentioned that they were sick of facing Rossau and Morehead to get to the tourney every year. Hill has 90 kids tryout year after year. My thought is if your enrollment is all boys, ie St Thomas your enrollment #s should be doubled, This would put them in the AA bracket. Or AA schools should be able to deduct their female students and drop to Single A. Of coarse I would like to see the A and AA champs play each other a week later to decide the real champ.

breck up 9 to 0 in the second??? i don't want to pi$$ in anyone's wheaties but shouldn't a private school with a strong hockey program year after year play in the AA tournament? i suppose the same could be said about st. thomas. i guess it's a choice they have the right to make. things that make you go hmmmmm???

New Ulm is so bad....the player I really noticed for New Ulm was #3, got a lot of ice time and was the laziest player on the ice. Did not backcheck, didn't move the puck well, really really lazy and all that before the 7 goal 2nd period for Breck and afterwards. New Ulm just comes out of a weak section. Hopefully Friday's game vs Warroad (its not over yet but leading 2-0) is a better game and should be.

I bet they want some of these teams in A so that there are a few teams worth watching. I heard them say in years past that it is up to the school in some cases. I am sure if Breck wants AA they would be in it.

I went to Hill, we didnt have 90 kids try out. I bet there were only 10 kids that didnt make JV, I didnt try out for JV though. I cant remember our enrollment, but it is small, it is 7-12 too.

I still remember my Junior year, Holly Angels was undefeated Class A, we beat them 11-1. It is a little different now, these top Class A teams are pretty good.

They do need some quality teams in A, but its getting to the point that there are 4-5 really good teams (who could and do beat quality AA teams) and then the rest of the them. I know its great for the schools and everything but yikes, there are blowouts every year and the arena looks 3/4 empty.

Anyway on to the AA schools. I would sure like to see Roseau pull off a big upset but I'm not sure they have the horses to do it this year. Apple Valley has some young studs but I think they are going to come up just a little short in this one. Tonka by 6 or 7 goals. The night game should be a good one, Duluth is playing some good hockey right now and Hill is stacked as usual. I think a late night OT might be in our future.