• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Evil Hawk Owl

Today I was cruising through the bog and saw this hawk owl sitting pretty low to the ground. Lately I have just been driving past them but since this one was in a good range I figured I would give it a go. All is going well until I started moving to left of the owl in an attempt to get a clearer background. Unknowingly, I am moving towards one of his food caches that is a 3-4 tall stump. All of a sudden it makes a noise I have never heard before and attacks. I had them swoop at me before but this one was intending to sink its talons into my skull. To dodge the bird I take a quick step and duck which results in me tripping over a stick in the ditch. With camera in hand I do a face plant and slam it right into the dirt road. Meanwhile the owl lands on the stump, takes dead vole out and flies away laughing.

I was able to blow most of the sand off of it and get it cleaned up good but the LCD screen has a half inch gouge in the left corner. Now I just hope the sucker still operates well, so far it seems to be okay.

Watch out for this guy.

4399646086_97df4a7526_o.jpg

It really sucks what happened to your camera, I hope it's still functional and hopefully a quick and relatively inexpensive repair. I once had someone knock mine over (It was on a tripod)and the lens hood on my telephoto was bent and it had to be shipped to Japan to be repaired. I lost it's usage for several months, it was fortunate I had it insured at the time.

BTW, That really is a beautiful shot of that evil owl.