• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frontier and their Siemens Gigaset routers

MuleShack

Does any one have any issue with Frontier and their Siemens router? I'm working on a friends system and have it set up and it seems to drop the wireless signal sporadically. I was wondering what would cause this? We are having issues with her laptop not connecting wirelessly and thought it was all the laptops fault. But I brought my laptop over and it connects right away but then an hour later it doesn't see a signal.

Does anyone use a linksys router that has frontier dsl? and is there any problems with that? The wired connection to the base PC works fine, but the wireless is causing problems.

We have tried different channels today so I dont know if that cured the issue or not.

I thought i heard that frontier dsl only works with a frontier supplied modem, but i have Integra with my linksys and have no issues.

I have the same set up, and I need to reset mine probably weekly. I did go with a linksys router, and had nothing but problems with the router, JUNK! Although when it worked, it worked well, but I still needed to reset the router once in a while. Call Frontier, they will have you test it, reset it, and will send you a new one if it isnt working correctly, for free.

There are some settings on the wireless NIC(network interface card) that will having it disconnect. One make sure you disable windows ability to power off the NIC under power management. And there is another setting that is a little more obscure, go in to the NIC properties and Advanced and in the window look "power management" on the right hand turn the value to the highest. Been through this in the past. Not all NIC are set the same out of the box.

Read my post above. It isn't usually the router. There are settings on the wireless NIC that can make it miserable. Have had more problems with Dells that anything else too. Check those power setting on the wireless card and it may help. I am at work and don't have a lot of time so if the directions are unclear just ask and I will do a better job later.

I tried that configuration option when I was having router issues but it didn't help in my case. It almost seems that my router has an inactivity timer too, as I'll jump on my PC (hardwired to the router) after it has been running and all I get is "resolving host" on the status bar (Google Chrome). Then all of a sudden after a few clicks of the refresh button it goes great guns like nothing was wrong. My laptop (wireless) will do it on occasion as well and the XBOX won't connect to the internet sometimes after I turn it on and usually the only way to get it to connect is by cycling power on the router.

I still have a hunch it's the router because this problem started to happen around the time I bought it, but I'm starting to wonder if it's really my ISP that's causing the issues.

The only advice the tech guy could provide was to walk me thru a reset via the internet control panel and to verify the security settings etc. Then we switched from channel 11 to channel 6. So far it has not dropped on my laptop (1 hr maybe) but still cant get the other laptop to have access. It sees the network but cant connect for what ever reason.

Ok, to take this in a slightly different direction, the laptop in question is a dell inspiron 1501. We have been having wireless problems for a while and I replaced the original internal card thinking that was the issue from a 1390 to a 1490 dual band WLAN.

When I was first introduced to this laptop it had a broad com interface that ran the wireless. I disabled that in the system settings and let windows run the card so it would work with the home networking. Since then it was nothing but problems. How many of you use the broadcom interface with your wireless settings and if so does it still work with your network?

Funny thing is I brought her laptop over to my place to work on it this evening and it found my network right away (Integra DSL with Linksys 160N Router). I entered my key and it has been on line ever since downloading and installing updates.

It sure seems like this laptop is allergic to the frontier system and router laugh

It could be rf interference at the house with Frontier DSL. The interference could be from another router nearby, cordless 2.4GHz phones, microwave oven, etc. That is why changing the channel may have helped.

There is a free app called inSSIDer that will scan all channels and tell you if any other routers are out there, their channel used, and the signal level in dB. This is a lot more useful that the signal bars in Windows. They sell another receiver that will see scan all RF in the 2.4 or 5GHz spectrum so you could see interference from other non-wifi devices.

There is a free app called inSSIDer that will scan all channels and tell you if any other routers are out there, their channel used, and the signal level in dB. This is a lot more useful that the signal bars in Windows. They sell another receiver that will see scan all RF in the 2.4 or 5GHz spectrum so you could see interference from other non-wifi devices.

This is really cool...I am running the scan at my place now and there are 5 other networks on channel 6 and 3 others at channel 11 buy my network is the only one at channel 1 which is showing way stronger and alone. So this may have something to do with the issue at her place. The only issue with that theory is she lives out in the country with the 3 neighbors that are about 400 yards away in different directions. I just discovered yesterday she has 3 rf camera's in her shop which is probably interfering with the signal. This tool should help in identifying a clear channel.

Thanks.

Mule -

I've got problems with Frontier dropping internet signal when I'm online with the PS3, or even sometimes online with the computer.

I run the Speedstream modem with a Belkin N+ router with Linksys range expanders.

I too have been through support and have tried all the different channels and found one that'll keep everything running, albeit having the dropped signal periodically.

I just discovered yesterday she has 3 rf camera's in her shop which is probably interfering with the signal.

I think you found the problem.

I had same experience when I bought some wireless cameras 2 years ago for home security, as soon as I installed the 1st one and turned it on, the whole wireless network went down. I played with frequencies but didn't have much luck. I had to replace the set with a different brand, model, and especially frequency and all it's fine now.

Try to shut down all the cameras and see if the problem goes away.

When I need to reset mine, everything wireless in the house stops working, Ps3, Xbox, laptops, printer, and after just shutting it off and turning it back on everything works again.

Ditto for me Scott with the Frontier equipment. Seems its a automatic one week deal to keep things running smooth.

The last time it quit, Frontier needed to replace my box.

After that, I have not had an issue for at least 6 months.

Frontier stinks to say the least. I cannot wait for a new provider to hit the Arlington area.

I wont be able to get back out there until Monday, and then I'll use that signal meter to see what the interference looks like. If it doesn't cost too much maybe I could talk her into getting some cameras that use the router to send the signal to house for monitoring.

Figures..

I talk about how my internet / router goes out periodically.

I get back from Running Aces last night at 4 am, slide into bed, try to get on the computer to do some reading and the whole system is froze.

Had to manually unplug the router AND modem today before things would work, but then I'm good to go again.

Originally Posted By: MuleShack
I just discovered yesterday she has 3 rf camera's in her shop which is probably interfering with the signal.

I think you found the problem.

I had same experience when I bought some wireless cameras 2 years ago for home security, as soon as I installed the 1st one and turned it on, the whole wireless network went down. I played with frequencies but didn't have much luck. I had to replace the set with a different brand, model, and especially frequency and all it's fine now.

Try to shut down all the cameras and see if the problem goes away.

I finally got back out there today and with the laptop working perfectly at my place and then it said it couldn't find the network at her place...something was up.

I had her unplug the closest RF camera and then the laptop was able to see the network but not connect. Once she unplugged the 2nd camera then it connected automatically...so that is the issue.

Problem is she doesn't want to get new cameras but still needs the network in the house. So she wants to lay a cat5 cable from the shop to the house to have the hard wired connection.

VALV, what type of cameras did you go with?

I want to ask about different types of video cameras that can ride the wireless network, but i'll start a different thread on that.

ANOTHER thing I learned today about Frontier service.

They block port 25 as part of their service on residential lines.

If you have a web hosting email account and try to set up the smtp.yourdomain.com (smtp mail server)in your mail program it wont work.

You have to run the SMTP server back thru frontier servers to go out.

I spent another 1.5 hours trying to figure this out on my friends system today with 2 different computers. It would do everything but send the test email...so I reset the router again to defaults. Finally after running out of options I called them to find out what was up.

after explaining the situation he told me they block port 25 on the host end and gave me way to use the frontier SMTP server for each of the other mail accounts.

It still sends from the correct user name so I guess that is what matters.

I have Integra DSL and I had no problems setting up my web site mail...just another thing frontier does different.