• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flying with camera equipment question

Hubby and I are headed to Washington DC in two weeks. I want to take my Canon Rebel XT and a few lenses along. Since I don't fly often, I am not sure the best way to take these along. I do have a small backpack style camera case that barely holds the camera and my three lenses.

Suggestions?

Put them in your backpack and make that one of your carry on pieces. I've carried on a rather large backpack for years with no problem at all. I don't like my photo gear that is not locked (TSA approved lock of course)in checked luggage.

Expect to get pulled aside while going through security but I've never encountered nothing but friendly, helpful agents. They always ask if it is OK to touch anything in the case. Enjoy your trip, one of my favorite cities to visit. Enormous photo opportunities! Make sure to share a few when you get back!

If I get pulled aside, then I won't make hubby feel so bad. I am assuming they are going to check his bag due to the syringes he has to bring along. This will be the first flight with his meds as well.

Thanks for the advice!

I am hoping the snow is gone, but it could make for interesting photo ops. We have one free day where we hope to go on a Segway tour. The other days will be mostly meetings with our congressmen and women.

I always carry mine as a carry-on. I have a back pack, but have used a regular camera bag most often, then pack everything I need to carry on in the pockets--money, id, book, etc. It slides under the seat quite easily. You are free to use it if you like. However, then you don't have your back pack with you in DC.

I always carry mine on with no problems. I usually have it full of narcotic pain meds, and with a protable tens machine which is basically a battery with a bunch of wires coming out of a plastic box, and they have not bothered me about my camera yet. THey are more concerend with laptops than anything else. they will make you remove a laptop from its case and send it through x-ray but they do not bother with camera gear, I think they see enough of it to not worry too much.

I wouldn't worry much about it. The requirement is to remove laptops, VIDEO cameras, and large electronics, but not DSLR type cameras. As far as the syringes go those probably won't raise an eyebrow either. The TSA is looking for bombs and weapons not drugs or drug paraphernalia. Have fun, and I hope the snow melts before you attempt the segway tour.

Let me know if you need any food suggestions, I know a bunch of restaurants down in that area.

Hey yak! I would entertain any food suggestions you have. This will be our 4th trip to DC, and we are looking for new things to do.

Any unique photo stops we should be taking a look at? I am hoping it will at least be sunny. They are talking about more snow, and highs in the 30's to maybe 40's early next week.

I usually have it full of narcotic pain meds, and with a protable tens machine which is basically a battery with a bunch of wires coming out of a plastic box, and they have not bothered me about my camera yet.

Funny, Paul! I hate flying (sorry Dbl and yakfisher), so things out of the ordinary make me nervous. I especially hate landing at Ronald Reagan Airport - haven't had a good landing there yet. I think there may still be grooves in the armrests I was grabbing on our last landing. We were just about to land when they gunned the engines and took off again due to wind shear. It was a very bumpy circle before we were able to actually land. Many people lost their complementary pretzels and soda before landing.

Funny, Paul! I hate flying (sorry Dbl and yakfisher), so things out of the ordinary make me nervous. I especially hate landing at Ronald Reagan Airport - haven't had a good landing there yet. I think there may still be grooves in the armrests I was grabbing on our last landing. We were just about to land when they gunned the engines and took off again due to wind shear. It was a very bumpy circle before we were able to actually land. Many people lost their complementary pretzels and soda before landing.

Thank for the laugh but I know exactly what you mean about landing at R.R.A. One great big turn and the wings barely level off and you are hitting the ground. I wish that I could tell you how to get to this little pizza/sub shop. That place had the best Philly Cheese steak subs and pizza by the slice. I was living out of a motel for 3 months and must have hit that place at least 4 times a week and by the time I got back to the regular Army I barley could fit back into my uniform grin

DCA is a piece of cake! Sounds like you've just had some unfortunate weather.

Teaism is a great Asian infused place and it is just north of the navy memorial one block off of Pennsylvania Ave. I like Zaytinia is a Medateranian tapas place on 8th street across from the Public Library north of the National Portrait Gallery. Jaleo on 7th is a Spanish tapas place, love the paella. Kitty corner on 7th is Oyamel which is a Mexican tapas place great guacamole. All the tapas joints were started by the same chef. Up in China Town there is Clydes on the walk, great chicken wings. On the north end of the block with the Verizon center there is a great Thai place and a great Chinese place, the one with the birds hanging in the window it has had great write ups in the local magazines. If your looking for steaks, the District Chophouse and Brewery is good, its also on 7th Street or the Capital Grill on 6th and Pennsylvania Ave.

As far as photos go down on the mall you get all the standard tourist shots, the Washington Monument, the Capital, the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials, the White House, etc. Near most of the metro stops you'll find homeless people hanging around, there is ice skating in the sculpture garden at the Smithsonian. And Arlington is always a fantastic but somber experience, the changing of the guard could be unique if there is still a snow covered back drop.

Have fun!

Thanks for the ideas, guys. We have done the Philips seafood buffet enough times that we were looking for something different.

Hubby has issues walking long distances, so this will be a different experience than our other trips. We did Arlington during the changing of the guards last time, but he won't be able to walk that far this time. He is too stubborn to try renting a scooter while we're out there. That's why we are hoping the weather is good enough for the Segway tours.

Our hotel is near the Air and Space museum, and the Botanical Gardens, so if nothing else we will get some shots of that area.

Ironic, I am leaving for D.C. on Monday! Your post answered many of my questions about flying with photo equipment. This is my first trip to D.C. and I am looking forward to it.

To all that have gone before I would love your food suggestions. Staying blocks from the capitol but we are planning to explore as much as possible. I checked out Phillip's and that looks interesting.

All the restaurants I mentioned are on the north side of the mall. Either in the Penn Quarter district or China Town or Gallery Place. This area is between 6th and 8th from Pennsylvania Ave north to about 6 blocks to China Town. The metro stops are on the yellow and green lines or the red line up to China Town Gallery place. All the museums have food courts, but most of them are expensive and not that tasty. I would suggest going to one of the many delis, that are found all around the ground floors of the office buildings both north and south of the mall, rather than eating at the museum food courts.

For any one interested, the National Geographic headquarters building always has an exhibit on the ground floor. Currently, they have clay soldiers from the Qin Dynasty. These are the warriors that were discovered on the 1970's and they believe there are over 5000 warriors all with different facial features. I have seen the exhibit and it was fantastic. You are not allowed to take photographs inside the exhibit under penalty of the Chinese Government, like they can enforce that. I highly recommend it, the exhibit runs through March. The building is a few blocks from the Farragut North or Farragut West Metro stops. I would recommend getting advance tickets through the National Geographic HSOforum, I did not and went up to the exhibit it 9am and my entry time was for 2:30pm that afternoon. When I was there in Dec. they also had a photography exhibit from two books one that has shots from the Nat Geo archives. The other photography was from Paul Nicklin and features his arctic and antarctic work. Good luck and have fun!

Sorry from bringing this thread back from the dead but I will be flying back to Minnesota for the Holidays from Mississippi and I really want to be able to bring my camera gear with me. I have never flown before, EVER so bear with me as I any having troubles finding much on deltas HSOforum. So for those of you who have flown with equipment is your suggestion to NOT put any gear into my big bag of checked luggage but rather just use my whole camera bag as my carry on bag and stuff and other odds and ends into it? Ive got the Lowepro fastpack 350 so I have the whole top of the bag for smalls thins so that wouldn't be a problem if I am able to bring the bag with me. Is there a weight or size restriction to my carry on camera bag? Its about the size of a pull backpack and weights about 25 pounds.

Any other flying tips for both my camera gear or just in general is VERY great appreciated! Thanks!

There are size restrictions on carry ons, but I don't think they have ever weighed them. You should be able to have one carry on and one personal bag. I usually use a small suitcase type bag for a carry on and then I always would use my backpack camera bag as my personal bag. They may take you one carry on right before you get on the plane, but I would never trust them to take my camera bag. Check your airline HSOforum for particulars.

I have flown with my camera equipment, and have seen others do the same. I leave all my stuff in my camera bag and carry it on. You would be allowed one carry on along with your camera bag. If the overhead bins are too full, give them your carry on to check and keep your camera bag with you. That would be like your purse, uh, briefcase. blush

I plan on doing things this way when we fly to Hawaii in January. Hubby will carry the camera bag and a carry on, while I have my purse and a carry on.

I would use your camera bag as a carry-on, it sounds like it fits the regs for carry-ons, I don't believe there is a weight limit and if it's backpack size it will fit in the overhead bin just fine. I prefer to have my camera equipment with me.

Have a safe trip home!

Jeremy you will have no problem carrying on with your set up. Don't check the equipment!!! I load a carry on a roller style bag by Think Tank on with no problem and it just fits the overhead bin. Don't ask the weight!

I always have had my equipment hand checked, not by choice! I insist on giving instruction on the handling of lenses that cost more than the car the TSA agent is likely driving. They do not allow you to touch anything in the bag but I make sure they understand that care must be taken with the gear. No problems with that since 9/11 and the increased checks.

I took a quick look at the size and dimensions of your bag and it should fit under the seat in front of you if the overheads are full. If you are flying out of Missisippi chances are you will be on a smaller jet that will require larger bags to be checked planeside and then returned to you planeside at each stop. Do not let them check your camera bag. Worst case you will have to give up your foots pace by using the underwear storage, but your bag will fit. Good luck with your travels.

Thanks everyone for the help! So from the sounds of it my pack will be fine as a carry on and I WILL not have it with my checked baggage. I will get my bag all cleaned out with just the things I need to make it very quick for the scanner and detach my lenses from the body too. Thanks!!