• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Waterfowl Dog??

kittycatcher16

Hello everyone, I am looking into getting a new dog in the spring. I am torn on which kind to get. I am leaning towards a chesapeake or a lab of course. I hunt a lot of water and I need a dog who enjoys water. I am trying to think outside the box and get something other than a lab but dont know what kind. Any info would help on my decision. m/f? kind of dog? etc. Thanks in advance.

Naturally I don't think you will find a better strictly waterfowl dog than a well bred lab.

Of course If you can only have one dog you will have to weigh what you want your dog to do? Do you want it to be a only a waterfowl dog or hunt upland birds also a lot?

I love hunting my labs on all kinds of hunting but am looking to get a llewelin setter also for pheasant and grouse. It is amazing to watch pointing dogs on grouse and other game were it is almost essential to have great pointer work (unless you feel like missing a lot).

There are lots of versitile breeds out there small musterlander, pudelpointer, and german shorthair. It all comes down to wanting a dog that can do it all good or a dog hunting one kind of thing and being great.

Have fun. Getting a new pup is one of life's great joys.

I dont really do much pheasant hunting but when I do i have a buddy who has a great german wire hair that we hunt on top of. I am strictly gonna train my dog for waterfowl. So I definately need a dog who loves water. I respect labs a lot, I know they are great all around dogs. In every waterfowl hunting video all you see is labs so I am trying to think outside that(but im sure I will end up with a lab). I am just looking for more insight thats all. Anybody know much about chesapeakes? Good or Bad news it doesnt matter. Thanks.

You can find great chessies. They are great for power and ability to hunt late northern hunts as they seem to repel cold.

The negatives is that they tend to be bigger dogs 75 to 100 lbs. Tend to be more territorial and aggressive at times to other dogs. Hard headed might be the term to describe it.

Labs have a larger gene pool that is available and being bred right now.

Just do your research and find a line that you prefer to have in your dogs qualities. Lots of great retrievers to choose from.

Chessies and labs are quite different in temperament so I would base your decision more on the type of dog you want to live with. Chessies are not happy go lucky dogs like a Labrador or Golden. They are tough stubborn dogs with a protective nature. Not saying they are bad dogs, but a lot of people buy them thinking they are getting the lab temperament and the dog becomes more then they can handle.

Another breed you might want to look at is a flat coated retriever. There are not many of them around.

In my opinion there's a good reason you see so many labs, they are great waterfowl and upland dogs that are also excellent with kids and other people. Having said that I am also one who does'nt like to be like everyone else but when I am ready for another waterfowl dog its going to be a lab, I think your chances of getting a "dud" is going to be pretty slim with a well bred lab.

My uncle has had flat coat retrievers for many years and he trains them to be excellent hunting dogs. He currently has four of them and works with them every day. However, I havent found a flat coat retriever to be very cheap! I dont want to spend a fortune on a dog. But he said that he would train my flat coat if I got one. If I can find one at a halfways decent price I would pick him/her up. Also, What is your guys preference on male or female??

Here are two "out of the box" breeds to consider. Both versatile breeds that are really terrific in the water and great family dogs. The Wirehaired Pointing Griffon and the Pudelpointer. Being a member of NAVHDA and attending both trials and training sessions I have seen these two wonderful breeds do their thing in the water and field. Both breeds are great family dogs, shed very little and easily trained. They both can take cold conditions and would be worth looking into.

hey Kitty; i'm in the same boat you are in; as soon as i can get a full time job; i want to get a dog. I have been doing some research on the labs; I'm leaning towards the british breeds of labs --harder to find, but a few differences from the american labs; although its pretty tough to go wrong with any type of lab

Are you looking for a puppy or a started dog?

Where do you think you will want to be moneywise?

I know I can hook you up with a started dog this Spring, around April. Age would be around the year mark and they would be BLK labs.

I am not advertising a litter or a dog I own, that is not my intent. I just know some people who might have them available. My intent is only to try and steer this forum reader in a direction that might help. If that is a violation I am sorry.

You really can't go wrong with a well bred lab, with the emphisis on WELL bred, do your home work attend some FT and HT and see whats out there for litters from proven stock, and expect to pay than you would out of a newspaper breeding, you won't be disapointed.

Normally the people that go with one of the "off" retriever breeds ( by off I'm refereing to the curly's , flatcoats, tollers, AWS. Not chessies or Goldens) they are in it for the long haul with the breed with one purpose in mind to try and improve the breed through testing, training and closely monitored breeding programs, while being fully aware that the breed they chose isn't a lab and will never be a lab. If you tell one of these people you would like one of there pups because you want to be differen't, thats as far as it will go. Wanting to be different usually isn't a good enough reason.

Even Chessie and Golden people will tell you that there breed isn't for every one.

You really put the odds in your favor of getting a well tempered, trainable dog if you stick with a lab, specially if it's a black one. cool

Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide.

I will second the Griffon.

Very,very easy to train and one of the most versatile "All Around" dogs on the ground. If your looking for something that isn't strictly a retriever/flusher and you like shooting upland birds rather than flushing them out of range take a look at the Griff. Plus the Griff can hunt waterfowl in the coldest of weather had mine out this year until the close of waterfowl season here in Montana Jan. 14th and he never hesitated going in the water for a retrieve.

We hunted everything from Sharptail grouse,Mountain Grouse, Hungarian partridge,Chukar,Pheasants,Ducks,& Geese this year that makes one heck of an all around list for a bird dog IMO.

DSCN0907.jpg

001.jpg

Rudy9-7-09Sharptails.jpg

GeoffRudyWaterfowl2007.jpg

Also he was trained by me no pro help at all and he is now running in NAVHDA tests and his first NASTRA trail this year.

Regards,

Chris

I see numerous posts and hear a lot of conversations about hunting dogs in which people say they want a dog that is easy to train, a good hunting dog and has a good temperment; all of which describes a lab, but in the next breath / sentence they say they don't want a lab and the reasoning behind it is that they want to be different. I guess I find that kind of odd.

My question is: Is the dog for a pet, companion and/or hunting partner or is the dog to make some sort of statement of fashion, status and/or lifestyle? There is no right or wrong answer to that question. To each their own. If the dog is something for the latter of the reasons I mentioned, that is fine, definitely go with something other than a lab.

But if the dog is for a pet, companion and/or hunting partner then why not a good lab. By saying that it can't be a lab just because it has to be different, people have essentially said that they have found a dog that is everything they want it to be but they won't get it because they have to have something different (a.k.a. special) in comparison to what is perceived as a majority of other people.

I just feel bad for some people in that they could be missing out on what could be a great dog for them.

Like I said, to each their own but I would just say give the decision some good critical thought as to why you're getting the dog, what you want out of the dog and then really look at what dog is the best for those reasons.

I see numerous posts and hear a lot of conversations about hunting dogs in which people say they want a dog that is easy to train, a good hunting dog and has a good temperment; all of which describes a lab, but in the next breath / sentence they say they don't want a lab and the reasoning behind it is that they want to be different. I guess I find that kind of odd.

My question is: Is the dog for a pet, companion and/or hunting partner or is the dog to make some sort of statement of fashion, status and/or lifestyle? There is no right or wrong answer to that question. To each their own. If the dog is something for the latter of the reasons I mentioned, that is fine, definitely go with something other than a lab.

But if the dog is for a pet, companion and/or hunting partner then why not a good lab. By saying that it can't be a lab just because it has to be different, people have essentially said that they have found a dog that is everything they want it to be but they won't get it because they have to have something different (a.k.a. special) in comparison to what is perceived as a majority of other people.

I just feel bad for some people in that they could be missing out on what could be a great dog for them.

Like I said, to each their own but I would just say give the decision some good critical thought as to why you're getting the dog, what you want out of the dog and then really look at what dog is the best for those reasons.

I got my dog because I wanted something better not different. That is why I got a chessie grinwhistle

caseymcq- No I am not trying to get something different to be "special" I am leaning towards something other than a lab for the simple reason YOU stated...To try not to miss out on what could be a great dog for me. Its people like you who just ASSUME because people are trying to think outside a lab that they are trying to impress or be "special", and ruin forums not to mention.. I want a hunting dog and I am just trying to get input from everyone(not be told im trying to impress or be special). Thanks to all you who have helped me research and find out what dog will work perfect for me!

duckbuster-

Im not really for sure on price just yet what I am willing to spend, I am currently laid off but dont plan on being laid off in the spring(hopefully). Not that that really hinders what I am going to spend but ya know. I know typically a started dog costs more than a pup. Do you know roughly what the price for a started lab would be from your friend??

Kitty,

look at this in a differenet way, Price vs Cost.

The price for a started dog will be higher, yes, BUT the cost of a puppy is the cheapest part of the deal.

I know that the initial upfront money is tougher to swallow but in the end it all equals out with one very big exception, with a started dog you are ready to go immediately. Plus this young dog will have all the basics done where it WILL be ready to go directly into a duck blind. It will be able to do blind retrieves from the start.

Dollarwise I would guess the low end might be $1,500. I know you are in a tough spot right now based on what you mentioned but I hope you give it some thought. One other thing, this person might work with you on payment.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I am suprised no one jumped in and talked about a Good Springer. Guess I take my hits. I have hunted mine on waterfowl allot, they are argueably one of the best at any other upland birds, Very versitile game driven dogs. Also one of the best house dogs available. I have one in my Avatar that can rival any lab on water retrieves through any cover. Had labs and some good ones, but can't go back any more. Good luck with your choice hope you get a good dog.

I grew up with, and am a huge fan of, American Water Spaniels (AWS). There has been a lot of debate among AWS owners whether to classify them for spaniel field tests or retriever tests, many feared emphasis on one or the other would destroy the breed's versatility; so they did neither. Not running in these tests has undoubtedly hurt the popularity/name recognition of the breed

The Wisconsin state dog, they are one of a few American breeds (birthplace, New London WI), developed during the market hunting era and mostly used in the Great Lakes region/upper Midwest. They are smaller in size than most waterfowl dog breeds, making them easier to use from a canoe. They are great family dogs and extremely intelligent and loyal (not to mention, pleasing to the eye). Here is more information,

American Water Spaniel Cllub.

I never got tired of hearing my late father site examples of the AWS's intelligence and loyalty.