• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Browning Bar...with or without the BOSS??

I am planning on getting a browning Bar 30-06 (I think) but I am trying to decide on the safari (with or without the BOSS??) or the long track, any recommendations? My concern is with the BOSS you loose approx 2" of barrel and not sure how much that effects the ballistics on an already short 22" barrel and if the boss is worth the extra $....

Thanks

Disregard you're concerns about the BOSS making ballistics worse. It is called the Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System for a reason, it theorhetically makes your gun shoot BETTER, not worse.

The BOSS functions as a weight at the end of the barrel to "tune" the harmonic vibration of the barrel as the bullet travels down it.

Most guys that have a BOSS don't shoot enough rounds and play with the BOSS enough to truly utilize it's designed intent.

To most people think of it this way.

1) The BOSS makes your gun FREAKIN' LOUD- yes all BOSS guns come with the CR sleeve, (Conventional recoil). This makes your BOSS normal volume since it has no holes (the CR), but still allows you to "tune" your barrel.

2) The normal ported BOSS reduces recoil (its ported), did I mention it makes your gun LOUD. Oh yeah and its LOUD. This is really the biggest benefit, you are buying a ported gun so it is lower recoil, you don't have to send your gun out to be ported, if it has a BOSS it already is ported. Of course you can take off the ported one and screw on the CR and you get rid of the noise but you get all the recoil back.

3) You can in theory tune your gun in with a given load to tighten the groups up. The BAR is a fairly accurate gun for a semi-auto, but like I said before its a lot of ammo to burn up for often times little gain.

I understand the LOUD aspect I have a 30-378 Weatherby with the accubreak and I dont hear a thing when your hunting (due to the excitment of the hunt aspect) and target shooting I wear plugs nomatter the gun. I understand but appreciate the explanation of the BOSS, my question isnt if it makes the gun less accurate I know it doesnt, my concern is to get the boss you lose around 2+" of barrel (Browning cuts the barrel down to compensate for the BOSS being attached) and is the loss off 2+" of barrel (goes from 22" to less than 20" not very long) worth the BOSS?

Thanks,

So you're wondering if the loss of velocity due to losing 2" of bbl is going to be significant??

If it were on a custom built from the ground up bolt action inteded for super speed, handloads, 400+yd shots, maybe. On a BAR intended for hunting.

In a word, No. (in my opinion)

That 30-378 needs a break, that thing must bark.

the answer is no

Safari = superb

Longtrac = not so much

I had a BAR Safari 7mm (don't ask why I don't no more ... I'm afraid I'm don't know :-/ ) ... recoil was the same or less than my #70 7mm w/BOSS. And yes, I got the CR, and tried it ... ONCE.

The automatic bleeds some recoil off.

Your .30-06 will be more like a .308 w/o the BOSS.

you will lose some velocity, for two reasons, 1 your barrel is 2" shorter, 2 because it is a gas operated semi auto.

If you are concerned about ballistics I would venture towards the A-Bolt or X-Bolt chambered in the 300WSM if you're looking for 30caliber action.

If you are concerned about ballistics I would venture towards the A-Bolt or X-Bolt chambered in the 300WSM if you're looking for 30caliber action.

I have an A-bolt in .300WSM ... it's a 6.5# rifle ... it's tolerable ... but definitely gets your attention. I have this rifle only for special circumstances. My main deer rifle is 7mm-08. Although, next time I think I'll download my .270WSM #70 ... I REALLY like that gun!

If your primary concern on weather to get the Boss is the loss in velocity I wouldn't worry about it. A chronograph of which ever load you decide to use and a ballastics table will let you plot a drop chart for your rifle. One or even two hundred feet per second difference in velocity will have very little effect in maximum point blank range.

A laser range finder and an accurate drop chart for your rifle and load will make it much more likely to hit targets or game past 300 yards than having two more inches of barrel.

Thanks for the info, I'm just trying to make up my mind what I want in the safari the BOSS or just the normal barrel...I appreciate the info I'm not so worried about the recoil I just thought being able to tune the barrel with the BOSS for better accuracy is significnt AND worth having or more a gimick by browning? I already have a 7mm a-bolt I wanted to get an auto in a more versatile caliber (easier to get, better selection and cheaper ammo).

The biggest advatage of the boss is that you can pick a cartridge off the shelf and tune the rifle to that loading. Even handloaders can benefit from the boss. If you want max velocity from a particular bullet you just make up small lots increasing powder charges till you are at max in the book or showing signs of excess pressure. Then just tune the boss to the load.

Aim small, miss small. I had the Boss on one rifle and sold it after the first time I fired it with out ear plugs. My ears hurt for 45 minutes and I never fired another round out of that gun.

I have had three Browning A-Bolts and all of them would group under an inch with premium bullets. I see no need for the Boss with performance like that.

One guy I hunted with had a BOSS and after he shot one shell I knew I'd never be caught dead with one of those things anywhere near me again. He never brought it back and we never asked where it went, we were just glad it was GONE!

Wow, a bunch of guys who shoot high powered rifles complaining about the extra noise of a muzzle brake. I have an A-bolt in 30-06 with the BOSS and I love it. Sure it is loud, but when hunting you will never notice it. It is a tack driver for sure, but the main reason that I like it is for recoil reduction. My A-bolt kicks more like a lightly loaded 243. Also, remember, he is talking about a BAR, not a bolt action gun, and I would have to think that a semi auto would really benefit from the extra accuracy from the BOSS. Maybe you don't have to drive tacks when hunting, but my A-bolt will shoot 1.5 inch groups at 200 yards with premium factory ammo, and that is a HUGE confidence booster when I hunt. Get the BOSS.