• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Stereo Recommendation

SkunkedAgain

I'm going to buy a nice stereo for my boat this spring. I want one that not only allows you to plug in an iPod, but is iPod compatible with USB. The reason is that I want to put my iPod in a water-tight case and control it from the head unit. That puts me into a higher bracket for systems. I've done some reading on this board and saw people recommend a powered antennae, but I haven't seen one online. Where would you get one of those?

I'm looking for recommendation on medium quality stereos and speakers.

I'd also like to hear recommendations on stores/websites and speaker location - I've got a Alumacraft Navigator 165 with a single console.

Thanks!

Last spring I added a Sony CDX-HS70MW. The unit is water proof to IPX5, so no watertight compartment is necessary. Sound is excellent and I picked it up on the auction site for about $140.

The model up from that Sony CDX-H910UI will control your Ipod with the cable. I highly recommend!

I added some JBL marine speakers with a white grille and ran some heavy gage speaker wire. Those sound good too. On my Lund Rebel XL, I added the speakers on the front side of the rear carpeted deck. Sound is pretty good anywhere in the boat. On the Lund there are actually pre-cut holes underneath the carpet with a small aluminum tab holding it together, you just have to poke around to find them.

Does anybody just enjoy listening to the loons, the sounds of the water,grebes chatting as they built their nest, a distant small outboard or the songbirds along the bank?

I had a big fancy stereo system in my boat when I bought it and didn't know it was there for the first summer I had it until a guest pointed it out to me. I'd told the dealer I didn't need it but the factory put it in anyway I guess.

A pal turned it on one morning and it started making annoying sounds so he hacked it out of panel, capped off wires and we dumped in the trash at the landing. I heard later somebody saw him dumping this big SONY in the dumpster and went in after it.

I hope he listens to it at home......alone......far away from the lake! Ha!!

No stereo in my boat either, Although I love music and used to be a musician I go fishing to get away from all that.Nothing is more melodic than a Loon on a cool, blue skied summer morning. Keep saying only 2 more months, 2 more months.

Thanks guys. Go hijack another thread, or create your own titled "Why you shouldn't have a boat stereo."

LOL

It's not like the stereo needs to be "ON" all the time. I love loons as much as the next guy. But there's nothing quite like listening to an Autumn Vikings game on the boat stereo when they are losing by 21 at halftime. You hook into a big girl and the drag starts screamin'. Sure beats sleeping on the couch...

I did just that last year. I have a Lund Fisherman so I use my stereo when I'm in cruising mode and not fishing mode. My boat came with a simple Sony unit with a housing. I took them out and opted for the Jensen MSR7007 with the iPod cable. This thing is awsome. It even has the weather radio channels. It is waterproof and doesn't require a housing. This makes it really easy to use the nice oversized buttons when you are moving around.

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again, thank you.

MnWilly; Please read 'Forum Policy'.

Do not direct folks to unauthorized - links, web addresses, other sites, e-mail addresses, phone numbers or other contact info.

I searched the Jensen and it looks good. cool

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again.

I went w/ a Sony combo stereo/cd/speakers from a BIG store in Rogers/Owatonna. Actually got it online. Very nice sound. Easy install, and it has the iThing/MP3 front input. I have a similar setup w/ the console and it works great. Granted when the loons are screaming I hit the mute button. Sometimes its nice to listen to some Miles or Jerry when the eyes are being hauled into the boat. Skol.

thats hilarious, forum policy has been read!

Where do you all put the iThingy when boating around? I was hoping to buy one of those Pelican cases but it seems like you can't run the USB cable through them, just the headphone jack. I was thinking about putting a net/webbing underneath the steering console to keep my iThingy dry.

What do those of you who use them do?

Also, do the units with front USB/Aux jacks have problems when you connect a unit but then try to close the weather shield?

The housing unit I purchased actually has a padded pocket for the iThingy. There are no connection problems whatsoever as the housing has about an inch of space between stereo face. The connection is a simple line jack from headphone out to mini jack on stereo face input. Skol.

Probably can find boxes for housing and stereo if you want exact model #s.

For a "nicer" stereo I would go with an Alpine Marine deck and speakers. I believe these have full iPod integration. (My favorite car/boat systems - I previously had one in one of my cars and it was fantastic, have a factory Alpine in my Durango right now that I love)

For a more middle of the road system I like the Sony head units and JBL speakers. (Sony speakers are better than the cheapos, but there are better ones out there IMHO)

I like music in the boat!!! Nothing like blasting some Bob Marley while casting cranks for Bass/Northern!