• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another ID

bobbymalone

Looks like it may be a cross between a pumpkinseed and green sunfish. Although it looks like an 80/20 split in favor of the green.

That's kinda what I thought.

I don't think rock bass and bluegill are capable of hybridizing and if they were I am not sure it would look like that.

I want Dietz to be correct as I don't have a picture of a pure green for my collection yet.

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: JBMasterAngler
Looks like it may be a cross between a pumpkinseed and green sunfish. Although it looks like an 80/20 split in favor of the green.

That's kinda what I thought.

I don't think rock bass and bluegill are capable of hybridizing and if they were I am not sure it would look like that.

I want Dietz to be correct as I don't have a picture of a pure green for my collection yet.

Thanks guys!

Thirded on the green/pumpkinseed split. It's definitely not a purebred anything. Cool looking fish.

Might've just been me getting my names messed up. I've caught plenty of fish like that off my dock for years and generally any sunny with a big open mouth instead of those tiny things gills usually have we'd just say 'rock bass, throw 'er back.'

Might've just been me getting my names messed up. I've caught plenty of fish like that off my dock for years and generally any sunny with a big open mouth instead of those tiny things gills usually have we'd just say 'rock bass, throw 'er back.'

I thought you might have just been tryin to pull my leg...

Big mouths on a sunny scream green sunfish. That guy took down a good size crappie minnow.

I would think either pumpkin seed hybrid or a possible red ear sun fish. you normally see red ears down south.

I was thinking a red ear too, but as you mentioned, they're typically found farther south. It kind of looks like a red ear crossed with a pumpkinseed.

Well, its for sure not a Redear Sunfish, we do not have that species in MN at all. Redear are a southern species and the closest population to us here in MN is in southern Iowa. My guess is this fish is a cross between a Pumpkinseed and a Green Sunfish.

This is what a Redear Sunfish looks like...

tn_IMG_2344.jpg

It's a green, may be crossed, but like I said, nearly impossible to tell without analysis. I'm 100% sure.

To reply about redears (shellcrackers), there are some in the state. Very limited numbers, but they have been caught and sampled. Redears are one of the #1 fish in the sunfish family that can be readily purchased in bulk and stocked. Some people have probably stocked them in local lakes. I know of some in Central MN...

Not to sound like a "know-it-all" but leechbaits fish is not a Green Sunfish. Looks more like a Pumpkinseed than anything, maybe some hybrid in it too.

As far as Redears go in the state, probably pretty rare. Most of those fish were probably mis-identified, if ya know what I mean. But it is possible I guess. I think they got one in their sampling nets out of Okoboji, which is northern Iowa. Who knows though, could have been mis-identified as well.

Heres a "purebread" Green Sunfish...

tn_IMG_1526.jpg

I caught some very similar to the one in mudcats pic yesterday out of a gravel pit. Next time I get down there I'll take some photos. Had the blue lines below the eye. Couple were on beds and talk about aggressive! Was trying to catch some baby gills for bass bait and couldn't keep them off the hook.

This is just my understanding with fish I caught from a lake in Eagan, MN.

pure bluegill. Notice the colors are due to breeding.

June24th2008-Bluegillbreedingcolors.jpg

another pure bluegill. Normal colors.

June24th2008-Bluegill1.jpg

pure pumpkinseed. notice the smaller mouth, tall body and colors.

pumpkinseed.jpg

pure pumpkinseed.

July212006119.jpg

pure green sunfish. Notice the bass like body and bass like large mouth, but green colors.

July212006145.jpg

HYBRIDS

unknown hybrid. very pretty. I should have kept it. Caught behind MOA.

Hybrid-June26th2008.jpg

hybrid

July212006128.jpg

hybrid

July212006115.jpg

hybrid

July212006093.jpg

hybrid.

June24th2008-hybrid3-1.jpg