• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rack on the back

Steve Foss

I may build one myself, but I'm also looking for a source for ready-made metal rear snowmobile racks.

I've got a 92 Polaris Indy Trail DLX 2-up, and the rack would rest on and be fastened to the hitch rail and the vertical metal posts of the seat's backrest.

I'm looking for something a bit bigger than what would be filled by putting a 20 lb propane tank on it. Anybody know a good source for this type of aftermarket stuff?

Thanks guys!

Seems to me the best stuff I've seen lately, whether it be auger holder, rack's for holding gear has been by people on here manufacturing there own ideas. On what you want just to get a rack thats bigger in size and have a welder put on a couple of support straps and brackets that will bolt to the rear bumper. I think or believe that is what tonka pat is doing. I remember not to long ago there was a person that had made everything out of oak scraps and other wood scraps. Looked different but seemed to work fine. I myself use aluminum for all my after market Brackets and racks etc.

I'm still in the market, but I ended up building my own box out of treated plywood. Three feet long, two feet tall, about 16 inches deep. Holds the 20lb propane cylinder in the center (I put in two dividers), and has tons of room for rod bag, Vex, soft cooler, etc., with the auger strapped on top.

To avoid covering the taillight, I used 2x4 to make a frame to raise the box three inches off the hitch rail. Fastened the bump-up frame to the hitch rail and bottom seat braces using plumber's straps (rock solid). Rested the box on top of that 2x4 frame and fastened it with utility screws. Used U bolts to connect front face of box with the vertical metal backrest bars. Sits on there totally solid. Drilled a bunch of 3/4 inch holes in the bottom to allow snow to run out and to reduce weight.

I also mounted angle iron that had a bunch of holes drilled in it across the front and the back, a few inches down from the top, so I have something to hook bungees to when strapping over top of the box. And I drilled a 1 inch hole out the back of the box at just the right level so the 6-foot propane hose can feed straight out the box instead of coming up and over the top.

Didn't get any pics, but I might tomorrow.

tonkapat, I'd like to see that rack. For $25 and a little modification, could be very cool.

I bought a snowmobile rack just a few months ago and it has platform space as well as auger risers and very practical. Is there always individual things a person would want, yes, but this is a very good system. The manufacturer is in process right now of working with us here on FM and things are progressing. It is a great need in the ice fishing world I feel.

I have yammie venture and I sure would like a rack that goes on and comes off fairly easily, as this is my wifes trail sled wink

Ideally it would have an auger rack built into it too, so I would not have to tow a sled around with me all the time.

My prob is the rear bumper is not that large on this sled, nor does it stick that far back. This sled was made more for touring than fishing I think, but you would think tourers would like ability for storage for cooler or grill or whatever too.

edit - I would love to see pics of what you guys have. thanks.

Yep, even just on the ice I would relocate a small tail lamp and bolt it on the lower or upper part of the rack. Should only be about $15 and an hour of your time. The other thing to watch out for it mating an aluminum tunnel to a steel rack anchor point. Corrosion can (and will) occur do to a reaction over time. Use high fatigue strength aluminum like 5052. Cut it up, mock it up, TIG it up, & bolt it up! wink

Nice rack though!

I dont but I can get them.Basically I removed the plastic covers at the back of the tunnel so I could bolt the support braces at that point. I used u-bolts and clamped the stand to the bumper. Not the cleanest looking way to mount,but it works. Im going to fab my own rear bumper that I can drill and bolt directly to instead of the u-bolts. I will see if I can get some pics in the next couple days.

I'm still in the market, but I ended up building my own box out of treated plywood.

I know a guy who can take your wood protype and build you one out of Aluminium.

He is also interested in Laker fishing. wink

I will have him call you.