• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thanks for the addiction

ac777

Well heres my story. I went out with a buddy last year while at college a couple times, watched him throw and miss one. That was about as far as my experience had been with spearing. But I knew I wanted to try it out for myself. So I acquired a spear and some other spearing goods through Christmas, and giftcards. I had my little fishtrap I bought from Matt Breur here on FM last year. I got my girlfriend to help me install some reflectix in to help with heat and light. This fall I sold my permanent, for various reasons, and I havent been out this year near as much as compared to last year. But I finally got to get out today and try some spearing. I didn't have to work, and my girlfriend hasn't started next semester yet, so I was able to take her with, (she loves the outdoors). We got there and put my new Fish toys Ice saw to work. As you can see Im also rockin my new Arctic Armor (love that stuff)

DSC03249.jpg

Gets warm though cutting through that Ice.

DSC03258.jpg

After we got the hole cleared out and everything set up, I drop my Decoy, and my girlfriend starts fishing. Well perch just start swarming to here lure (we didn't have live bait with, but she did catch a few) I think at one point I counted 45 perch under us.

DSC03267.jpg

We had seen one small walleye earlier, no bites, but finally all the perch scatter. I get my spear ready, and a nice fish comes in, but wait, that doesn't look like a pike. It was a nice Walleye. We proceeded in trying to catch it, but did not avail, still awesome to see though. The walleye left and the perch came back. A while later, I see a small little snot rocket come in and leave quickly....fast forward a while more, A nice pike comes in from ahead of us, angles towards the left corner. I get my spear ready and throw it. sure enough, I miss. I was a bit bummed, but was just pumped that I saw a nice one and got a shot at it....fast forward to her saying look at that fish, well it was under my side of the ice, and I couldnt see it so I lean over and theres a huge walleye, looked to be upper 20s in size, it roamed a bit, then took off. A little while later, another pike comes in right from under us. I let the spear go, and nailed it! we got it up and off the spear. Lets just say I was pumped! It wasnt big, just a nice eater about 4 pounds or so. Well as time goes on, another nice walleye decides to come check out my decoy, If I was in Sd, it would have been dead! SO eventually the perch come back and are hanging around the lure, when all of a sudden they start scattering, I knew something had to be coming in now and sure enough, a little bigger pike comes bolting under the hole chasing the perch. I was hoping it would come back and check out the decoy. The girlfriend twitched the line a bit, and sure enough, here he comes just staring at my decoy, all the while shes saying get your spear as Im trying to put down my food and get the rope untangled from my leg. Turned out I got a nice shot, a little far back, but it did the trick. This guy was a little over 26 inches.

DSC03272.jpg

We sat for a while after that one, and after daylight was closing and nature was calling, (can't girls learn how to pee outside..jk) I had got 2 good eaters, and we decided to call it a day. It sure was a blast for both of us, and we got a trip planned for the weekend as well! Thanks to FM for all the tips and info I have learned about spearing and other outdoor activities. I hope to be able to pass it on someday. And one last thing, thanks for the addiction....

Sounds like a perfect day to me, congrats! What size hole were ya runnin? N what's the decoy you have in that picture?

Decoy was just a cheap one I bought a scheels, I bought 2 and rotated them out. Plan on adding more to my arsenal as time goes on. Hole size was a little under 4x3. It worked perfect in my little flipover.

Ain' nothing wrong with that!!!

Good Job!!

FYI, If the ice block gets too heavy lifting it out in one piece you can use your chisel and break it into smaller pieces.

Thanks, and I did cut it into 2 chunks with my saw, pushed one under and pulled the other one up.

I noticed your sweatshirt. Have you tried del clark? I was out there some last year and had some luck. Do you know how much snow clark has on it?

Yeah thats where I was at, they had roads plowed out there, but now tih all the snow and drifting we've had, not sure how it is now.

Thanks for the update. I saw some nice fish out there last year! I even had a few muskrats come up the hole and scare the [PoorWordUsage] outta me! Are all the perch still super small? Last year scools (to many to count) of minnow sized perch would cruse threw, but if you looked close they had little perch stripes on them. No wonder the walleys don't bite.

Thanks for the update. I saw some nice fish out there last year! I even had a few muskrats come up the hole and scare the [PoorWordUsage] outta me! Are all the perch still super small? Last year scools (to many to count) of minnow sized perch would cruse threw, but if you looked close they had little perch stripes on them. No wonder the walleys don't bite.

ya, still lots of smaller perch, Havent seen the schools of mini perch though. But ya theres lots of forage in the lake, ive seen some real nice fish come out of there as well.

maybe I will run into you someday out there. I spear out of a white zack shack with blue trim. Don't be afraid to stop if you see me. Not a lot of spear people in sw mn!

I take it its a permanent house? I just use my little fish trap, but your right, not many people spear done here. I think Ive seen about one other spear house out on Del.

maybe I will run into you someday out there. I spear out of a white zack shack with blue trim. Don't be afraid to stop if you see me. Not a lot of spear people in sw mn!
Hey gone fishin, I saw your house out on del today, I was out back by the inlet,but didn't see anything. The water was a lot murkier too. You been seeing anything where your at?

I put it out there last friday. About 12 ft deep on the left side and about 8 ft on the right side, and you can see it slope up fast on the right. Water is crystal clear. I was even watching some crayfish on the bottom. The last I was up there was wed. water was still clear then. I have only been out in afternoons. AS far a fish, I have seen at least 2 everytime I have been out. They were pretty leary on sat and sun. Some would stay just out of spear range. It seemed to help if I ran the decoys lower to bring them in. I had good luck last year straight out from the pier past the dam way back in that bay. There used to be a road there and you can kind of tell by where the power poles are. I saw one that was in the 38- 42in range, but I already had a 32. Also had several muskrat encounters back there(kinda gets your heart thumping)

Ya I was out there Friday sat and sunday, and didnt see one pike, I did catch a 27"er on a tip out 10 yards from my house. If I ever see you out there, I'll stop by sometime. I think I might move and try another spot. I havent seen any walleyes moving like I saw last week though.

Where did you set up? Was it clear? I use a small jig and minnow head to bring in the perch, not sure if it helps or not but I like to have baitfish hanging around my hole. I also use the biggest sucker minnow I can find. (DJ'S in montevideo has decent ones) I just hope my house didn't get froze in to bad this weekend.

Friday I set up on the other side of the bay by you, you will probably see my marker stick, it was real murky there but that's where the current comes in. the rest of the time ive been on the NW part of the lake. As far as house being froze in, it might be some, there was some slush, and I saw a couple that were froze in pretty bad.