• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

battery or starter?

Gunslinger

When I go to start my atv, it makes a clicking noise inbetween trying to start and it doesn't turn over very well. After it is warm it will start without the clicking noise.

Is it time for a new battery? I put the charger on it but it still clicks.

The dealer told me I should buy a new battery after 1 year because the factory battery isn't very high quality.

Anyone seen this?

depends on what you have. my battery is still the original battery, and its a 2002 yamaha griz. 7 years, and still going.

that clicking noise is the battery, it may be just a bad connection, check to make sure they are tight.

I do alot of plowing with mine and i use the winch to raise and lower it.I will go through a battery every 2-3 years. I was told that using the winch that much was hard on the battery no matter how good of a one you buy.

No mention of using your ATV for plowing/using a winch. If you're not using a winch and your battery still isn't holding a charge, it's time to replace it.

Do keep in mind that colder weather does increase stress on your battery.

depends on what you have. my battery is still the original battery, and its a 2002 yamaha griz. 7 years, and still going.

that clicking noise is the battery, it may be just a bad connection, check to make sure they are tight.

Agree. Disconnect your terminals on the battery and make sure they are clean and shiny and then make sure you put them back on nice and snug before giving up on the battery. A motor starter requires very good connections so the power is there when it needs it.

I do alot of plowing with mine and i use the winch to raise and lower it.I will go through a battery every 2-3 years. I was told that using the winch that much was hard on the battery no matter how good of a one you buy.

In your situation I think you are settling for less than you could. Immediately after you're done plowing put a battery charger on your battery to refresh it. Do this EVERY TIME. Your ATV's charging system will not likely be able to keep up with the power demands of using your winch repeatedly as when lifting the plow and so even though your machine was running, the battery's charge level has been falling behind while you were plowing.

Do keep in mind that colder weather does increase stress on your battery.

Yes and no. The battery isn't stressed by being cold. In fact, it is actually a good thing to a point. The problem is that in colder temperatures the chemical reaction needed to deliver the power is slower and so your battery isn't able to deliver like it can when it is warm. Couple this with the higher demand the system puts on the battery and it suffers a double-whammy.

It's actually harder on a battery to live in warmer conditions but the battery's chemical reaction is more active and so it can deliver higher current even though it isn't needed as much.

Kind of a catch-22 situation.

Gunslinger, you could charge your battery, wait 24 hours, and then take it in for a load test. That's the least expensive way to find out if the battery is your problem. The fastest way to find out is to just replace it but then you might be spending money unnecessarily.

You should be able to notice a change in starting if you are using the start assist feature on your charger. It might be connections. Taking the battery in after fully charged to check the CCAs is a sure fire way to know. Batts Plus will check it for you for free as I am sure that other places will as well.