• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting kids started in spearing?

Huey

There's been some cool photos of kids out spearing posted recently. I'm thinking of taking my 7 yr old nephew spearing for the 1st time this winter. He seems to love everything that has to do with hunting and fishing. I think he might like spearing too.

Anybody have any advice for taking kids spearing? How old before you let them throw the spear? Any sort of practice? etc? How old were you when you started?

I started spearing as an adult just a couple years ago.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

As soon as they can sit still, get them out there for some shorter outings. Keeping them engaged through running the decoy and watching for fish helps.

I started using the spear probably when I was 12. Probably dont need to be that old though.

I would say teaching them "behind the head" is the most important lesson. Followed by keepin the spear ready. And patience.

Steve

Just with all kids keep them busy, show them all ur deaks, show them utube footage of pike comin in n ask him if he wants to see that, ya know cool stuff is always going to keep a kid interested, besides it will teach him patience n that's always a plus! I'm thinkin ogf takin my 15yr old cousin, dad doesn't have the time and isn't interested in getting "cold" lol she said she would go so I gotta give it a try! Couldn't hurt taken anyone out! Just took my gpa who never speared before n he loved it!

My son has been spearing with me since he was seven but he did'nt want to throw the spear until last year he was 12 then. the kid will let you know when He/She is ready to throw the spear and as always saftey first teach them that and things will go way smoother for ya in the long run also make it as fun as possible and if he/she does miss then make sure that they know it is ok and that sometime that happens.

Everything you guys have said is right on far as I can tell this year with taking my son. Keeping them entertained is the main thing and also that there having fun. Buying a live sucker has helped he loves watching that I was impressed the first time we went out we saw one pike at 8:30 and left the the lake at 11:30 he sat there for 3 hours without seeing anything. I thought to myself he has more patients than me. Another thing is I try like heck not to leave him alone in the house (thats a big hole). I have showed him how to hit them in the back of the head, I've showed him how to miss, Browning gold has shown how to hit them in the tail and then somehow get the spear stuck into your pants leg HA HA HA!! just kidding. But my son absolutly loves it in fact were heading up north tomorow for 4 days of spearing and angling. Good luck and I hope every kid enjoys it as much as my son does.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I think I'll try combo spearing/tip-up trip. We'll try spearing and then if that gets old we'll set out tip-ups. My niece and nephew love tip-up fishing. The red flag goes up and the race is on!

Thanks for the tips guys.

I think I'll try combo spearing/tip-up trip. We'll try spearing and then if that gets old we'll set out tip-ups. My niece and nephew love tip-up fishing. The red flag goes up and the race is on!

If you get bored also you could try jigging in the spear hole, which will allow them to watch the fish come in.

Steve

I am just getting into spearing, but another idea is if you have access to an underwater camera, kids always love to look around at whats down there and may even alert you to an unseen fish!

I,ve been taking my grandkids spearing for years but having a slot limit on northerns in the lake you live on or stay on is very inconvenient. They can come and go as they please on their lake but don,t have the patience to stay for any length of time at other lakes.Because of this, they hardly spear now. The DNR is making it hard to get the kid's out spearing much now.

Got my kids spearing when they were teens. My oldest boy started my grand son spearing very young. My grandson speared his first fish at 4 years old. My son would put a harness on him and tether him to the wall so he wouldn't fall into the spear hole.

That is a great pic for sure!!!

Thanks for sharing Bowfin.

When the time comes, I hope your son can get a pic of his son with his first darkhouse speared fish too!!

I had the great privilege to sit in a house with one of the newest spearers at the HSO get to gator up in Winnie. It was his first time out and that little boy is hooked now!!

He got to see two nice pike.

To watch and see his excitement was really something.

It is good to get the little ones out and hooked on the outdoors, rather than more computers and video games.