• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

illegal or not

shadrapla

I think putting egg shells or potatoes down is considered polluting for whatever reason. Just get some white or light colored sand and throw that in. It should settle pretty quick and sit on top of weeds. Or you could try corn and say it was bait for carp (if the lake has them)

Just get some white or light colored sand and throw that in. It should settle pretty quick and sit on top of weeds. Or you could try corn and say it was bait for carp (if the lake has them)

Please don't try either of these methods.

I have heard of people getting tickets for both of these things.

i can't imagine putting anthing in the lake that is not naturally there is good for the lake, or legal for that matter.

Remember this is a sport its suppose to be challenging.

Please be respectful of others, and future generations that would like to use these lakes.

If you allowed any of these things, where would one draw the line?

Why would you get a ticket for putting sand in the lake? Corn I can understand, I suppose, although it is a pretty common carp bait... The reason I suggested those was because I did not think they would be things you could even be ticketed for doing. Personally I can see the outline of a fish over the bottom the way it naturally is, and if I can't I guess I'm not going to be spearing it.

We had this debate last year and came up with a CO's descresion call on it because we were told that you could put egg shells down just not truck loads some was alright and this was by the CO himself when in doubt ask the area CO and get it straight from his mouth then go from there.

I have done like merk taked about except that I used a white piece of aluminum and retrived it afterwards didnt seem to help out with the spearing thou sisnt see any more fish and it didnt really help out in getting any more but man yu could see great.

I think it is illegal to put any potatos and egg shells down the hole it would be considered literaring even if it is "environmentally friendly". Sand I think would be a better solution but not sure if that would cause any alarm to the CO becuase who knows where the sand came from....Egypt?

Personally in the past I have used both but not anymore but I think it would be up to the CO's discretion.

mr

Page 11 of the 2009 Fishing Regs:

Littering of any materials and depositing rubbish, poisonous substances, or chemicals harmful to aquatic life into public warers, onto ice, or lake or stream shores is illegal. Fish line and various packaging materials can be harmful to wildlife.

Sounds like it is probably a no-no.

Sounds like a no-no to me. Regs or not it comes down to ethics.

The aluminum trick with string to retreive it sounds like a good idea. Maybo if it isn't painted totaly white, but just white spots might work better, or else put it down and stir up the bottom very gently just so a little silt sits on it so you can see, but it will blend in better.

I have heard of people using PVC lattice with a rope tied to it, and they would take it up every night. The squares help you to judge the size of the fish.

I also read on the DNR HSOforum that you could use lengths of PVC pipe tied to a rope to help you judge the size of the fish. I have been searching for that webpage and now I can’t find it.

Ultimately, leaving anything down the hole is littering, and it is up to the individual CO if he wants to charge you for it.

Having a rope tied to something on the bottom (several sinking white decoys made of wood or pieces of PVC pipe) is a little more in the grey area.

In the end it is up to the individual CO.

Page 11 of the 2009 Fishing Regs:

Littering of any materials and depositing rubbish, poisonous substances, or chemicals harmful to aquatic life into public warers, onto ice, or lake or stream shores is illegal. Fish line and various packaging materials can be harmful to wildlife.

Sounds like it is probably a no-no.

I think it would be wise to call each indivdual CO in your area and ask what their definition of 'Rubbish' is.

Webster:

Rubbish: worthless, unwanted material that is rejected or thrown out; debris; litter; trash.

This may be where their discretion comes into play?

I think it would be wise to call each indivdual CO in your area and ask what their definition of 'Rubbish' is.

Webster:

Rubbish: worthless, unwanted material that is rejected or thrown out; debris; litter; trash.

This may be where their discretion comes into play?

It says any materials and depositing rubbish. I think the key there is any materials. Any materials would include just about anything and everything [that wasn't retrieved].

Quote:
i can't imagine putting anthing in the lake that is not naturally there is good for the lake, or legal for that matter.

Remember this is a sport its suppose to be challenging.

Please be respectful of others, and future generations that would like to use these lakes.

If you allowed any of these things, where would one draw the line?

I think he said it pretty well

609.68 UNLAWFUL DEPOSIT OF GARBAGE, LITTER, OR LIKE.

Whoever unlawfully deposits garbage, rubbish, cigarette filters, debris from fireworks, offal, or the body of a dead animal, or other litter in or upon any public highway, public waters or the ice thereon, shoreland areas adjacent to rivers or streams as defined by section 103F.205, public lands, or, without the consent of the owner, private lands or water or ice thereon, is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

I did a search of "Kevin Kyle" and found he is a information consultant, I don't think that he has the authority to enforce this... I would ask the local warden before I put ANYTHING in the lake.