• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ripley buck makes books

vister

my buddy called me today to tell me the ripley buck is the new state record at 227 3/8" hes friends with the guy that poked it.

It should be noted that it is an archery record. Larger bucks have been killed or found in the state. For example, the sheds from the Minnesota Monarch scored over 300" without any spread credit.

Great deer from Ripley though!

Speaking of the "Monarch"... was it ever shot?? I know I read somewhere that a few years after it's biggest known set of antlers were found a really nice buck with some similarities was shot in the same area... Anyone have any info???

That Ripley buck was awesome looking.... the best thing about it was it was a LEGITIMATE HARVEST and the guy who shot it seems like the kind of hunter we all strive to be... knowledgeable, gracious, appreciative and just plain excited to have the chance to hunt!

Speaking of the "Monarch"... was it ever shot?? I know I read somewhere that a few years after it's biggest known set of antlers were found a really nice buck with some similarities was shot in the same area... Anyone have any info???

I don't believe it was ever shot. Its sheds were found the year after the huge set was grown (it had gone down in size quite a bit - although it was still a 200" deer). You would have heard about a deer like that being shot.

That Ripley buck was awesome looking.... the best thing about it was it was a LEGITIMATE HARVEST and the guy who shot it seems like the kind of hunter we all strive to be... knowledgeable, gracious, appreciative and just plain excited to have the chance to hunt!

I'm a non bow hunter and thank goodness there isn't a serious rifle season in there, I think there's a disabled gun hunt maybe ? It shows me what age can do for any buck not meaning all can become a state record, but at least they have a good chance at reaching maturity and the hunters can feel they have some chance at a good one. I'm very happy for the guy and I bet his Christmas present arrived the moment that arrow hit home ! smile

There is a disabled vets hunt at Ripley held every year. Believe it or not there aren't very many hunters that take place in it. I think the numbers are growing however.

The buck taken this year was simply awesome! I don't know if there are many more that huge, but working out there, I have seen a lot of really nice bucks out there. 40,000 acres is a lot of land for them to hide in! I am sure there are some very big bucks out there that simply die of old age.