• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice blocks on top of ice

Early Riser

I saw this last year out on a few lakes and I just saw it again this morning...guys leaving their blocks on the ice. Even if the hole is marked with a branch, someone that is going too fast, driving in a heavy snow, is unalert, drunk, etc. on a snowmobile, four wheeler or in a truck may hit one of them and really get hurt.

I know the folks here arern't going to leave their blocks around but if you see someone doing it or find one of these hazards on the ice take a few minutes to correct the situation by talking to the person repectfully, or by stopping to break up the block and/or put it down the hole.

when spearing I try to cut and chop ice down to smaller chucks. I hit a ice block that was cover by snow with a sled. Not only threw me from sled but done about $500 damage to the sled. I didn't spear it that time, but I feel the block you hit same day just could be your own.

i just don't understand how someone could be inconsiderate and endager someone else with what they had left, whether it be a block on top (unmarked) or a empty hole waiting to refreeze.

Some people simply don't know.

A quick friendly reminder and the light bulb goes off and they see just how dangerous it can be.

If you (angler or spearer) see an open hole or block on the ice though take the time to make it right. A couple min marking it with a branch or a few whacks of a large ice block with your chisel and you may just save someone’s life.

Is there a reason why most of you don't just shove it under the ice to begin with?

The only issue I have with that is when I leave (normally at or near dark) there would be a totally uncovered (but marked) hole left in the ice.

I would think it is safer to at least have some thing in the hole since I would think it would refreeze faster and maybe that block of ice that is placed back in the hole would wedge and give someone that little bit of extra time to get out of the situation?

I have stepped in 10 inch holes all the way up to my walnuts and luckily there was slush in those holes.

All the way down my leg didn't get wet... I almost beat the water on the way up... but not quite. smile

That is why I pull the block out to put it back in when I leave.

I can agree that it is not safer for me moving around big blocks of ice though, but I just feel it is safer

for everyone else once the block is back in the hole and the hole is marked.

Originally Posted By: croixflats
That is a considerate thought to move it to the shoreline but essentially your just moving it another spot. Unless you put it next to a structure or tree its still an obstacle that can be covered by snow to get hit.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what?

OOps sorry. I was talking about moving the blocks to the shoreline to remove them from harms way witch by doing so its still a block therefore still an obstacle unless sitting next to something bigger and identifiable to unsuspecting travelers . Unless that was not the thought then I guess I'm lost, would not be the first time.

I usually push the block under as well.. Way easier than pulling it out and chizeling it up. However I do believe its possible to spook nice pike from coming near your hole when you have giant block of ice siting under your house (unless you can get a good push off) and that would be my only argument for pulling it out.