• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying rifle as a gift

I'm planning to buy my Dad a new .22 for Christmas this year. I was in the gun department at a major sporting goods store this weekend (D!ck's) and through my conversation with the clerk mentioned that it was a gift for my Dad. He immediately told me he wouldn't sell the gun to me since it was a gift for someone over the age of 18.

This seems absolutely silly to me. I then mentioned that I could just purchase it under my name and then "sell" it to my Dad for a small fee to ensure I stayed legal. He hesitated and I honestly think he wouldn't sell me the gun.

At this point, I was somewhat surprised/shocked and decided to just go elsewhere to buy the .22. I'm in my mid-30's and my Dad is almost 60. Is there truth to this "law" and does it seem ridiculous to anyone else?

Guess I'll avoid the small talk next time and just buy the darn thing.

When I bought my sons gun at FF My wife had to purchase it as I didnt have a DL. She was filling out the info and asked me a Question and the guy behind the counter jumped all over us saying SHE CANT ASK FOR ANY HELP filling out that YOU CANT HELP HER. I said Its for our son who will hunting with me. He almost didnt sell us the gun either.now I have my DL and theres no problems. They way I understand it THEY want the gun registered in the persons name who is gonna use it if over 18.and they need to have a Background check Yada yada.

I guess you cant bash the retailer for this its what they are required to do and if they dont follow the rules they probally will no longer be able to sell guns. just a thought

the first question on the 4473 form is "Are you the actual transfee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the the actual buyer, the dealer connot transfer the firearm(s) to you." If you are buying for someone else that cannot legally buy a firearm it is considered a straw purchase and is highly illegal. There is an exception in this case, if the firearm is purchesed as a legimate gift for a third party. If that is the case you would answer yes, you are the actual buyer, however you may not transfer(gift or sell) a firearm to any person you know or have a reasonable cause to believe is prohibited to be in possesion of a firearm. With that being said, know your customer or gift reciepients.

I think it all really depends on the sales person, during this years duck season my brother wanted an o/u franchi and he always has trouble buying guns because he is not a citizen but he is a legal alien, in order for him to buy guns he has to go through hoops to get it, Im not hating the system, and with my brother i know that he is not going to use it for something dumb. Also my gf went with me during the week of xmas to a hugo gun shop and bought me a handgun, she paid for it, i filled out the forms, i had no problems getting it.

It is 110% legal to buy a firearm as a legitimate gift for someone that as far as you know is not prohibited from owning a firearm. Any salesperson that says otherwise doesn't know their rear end from a hole in the ground.

I sold guns for almost 10yrs part time at a private shop, so I'm not naive to how long gun sales work. I have never, ever been happy with the customer service, or product knowledge of ANY gun salesperson at a cabelas, gander, or Richard's. About the only big box place I've had good knowledgeable salepeople at is Scheels, and even there its spotty.

If a saleguy took the strongarm route and started belittling or threatening about the sale or legal trouble. I'd be going straight to a manager and explaining to them how their employee is running off a customer based on incorrect interpertation of the gun buying system.

I just bought a 22 for my son's first birthday at gander. We waited at the gun counter in full view of multiple sales people for over 10min before we were approached by an employee. Its not like my wife and I were milling around kicking tires we were standing at the counter in one place. No, it was not busy.

The help we did get was, well less than stellar. Its too bad gun salespeople at most of these big places that are taking over the gun market are so poor. Really disappointing.