• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sax Zim Bog GTG???

That sounds great !

Of course without a job everyday is now Saturday grin

Today there were Pine Grosbeaks,Pileated,Hairy and Downy woodpeckers, Gray Jays and Chickadees.

Got there a little late but did not see any Hawk owls or any raptors and this evening no luck on the Great Grey owls but did see 3 grouse in the trees feeding.

Sounds like it might be shaping up OK.

Just so everyone knows, all HSO/FMers into photography are welcome at and invited to this get-together. Typically we meet for breakfast somewhere, but it's not necessary, and we set a time for all to meet. Then we usually just head out in a convoy of vehicles and cruise the bog all day, getting out when we see something interesting to photograph.

So far we've stayed in one group because we haven't had a lot of people. For nature photography, the more people you have in one place, the less willing the critters tend to be to show themselves, so if we get a big bunch of folks we'll probably want to split into smaller groups and then meet at the end of the day to compare notes.

However it goes, the GTG is at least as much (and probably more) about putting names to faces, chatting about photography and gear and getting to know each other as it is about taking photos. We've had a lot of fun at these GTGs.

We haven't set up any other details except this date, so everyone who plans to attend should chime in on this thread. smilesmile

Thought I give some heads up in the bog.

Hawk Owls are very tough to find in the bog. There was a reliable Hawk Owl on the corner of 133 / 7 but I been there several times and could not find the owl. Also there was a Hawk Owl reported on Owl Ave. just north of the Overton Rd and that owl looks like it moved.

Great Gray Owls are so-so on the McDavitt Rd and also off hwy 83 on the Sailor Rd. There was a brief sighting on owl avenue down by correction line rd.

Winter finches are tough to find at feeders!! Pine Grosbeaks were seen at the feeder on Arkola a few days ago and the Admiral Rd feeder has lots of chickadees and no Boreal Chickadees. I waited nearly an hour yesterday on my own to see one and no show! There are lots of Gray Jays there to photograph as well as Blue Jays and one Pine Siskin. There are some other residents like downy and hairy woodpeckers but the pickings are slow at all the feeders.

Crossbills are every where and if you are lucky you can find them on the road gritting or possibly on some lower branches in some evergreens. ( White-winged Crossbills ) Redpolls are seen on the road too and also in the trees feeding but not at the feeders.

Overall the best place to really go to get owls is in aitkin county north of palisade along CR 18 and also along Hwy 200 between Floodwood and Hill City. ( Hawk Owls )

I might see you guys out in the bog as I might be guiding folks out. Oh there is a reliable female Black-backed Woodpecker on McDavitt Rd about 3.0 miles north of Sax Rd. This is same spot to look for Great Gray Owl.

Good luck all and stay warm!!

Mike

Thanks for your update Mike. I have observed pretty much the same as you have. Things are harder to find and there is little use at the feeders for winter finches yet. That lone siskin has been there for a week now. It appears healthy as its bosses the chickadees round and is rather perky. It seems odd though that it hasn't joined a flock of its own kind.

I have spotted 1 male and 3 female Purple finch's at the feeder on McDavitt. I also noticed that there is another set of ribs on the west side of the Admiral feeder as well as some dog food in the ditch. I run into Buzzsaw and his friend and they talked with a guy who is trapping around the feed stations and I guess he is putting out the extra stuff so just be aware if you decide to walk around in the woods close to any of the feeders that there may be a trap/snare that is setup for taking Bobcats. They tried to explain that these are birding areas with birders and photographers and if they found his traps they very well could end up missing but it fell upon deaf ears.

Bobcat season ends today so he should be picking them up. There is orange flagging on the road where his traps are and none are too close to any of the feeding stations.

Oh yeah, it wasn't him who put out the extras..... wink