• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

5 gallon bucket mods/uses

lakevet

why could one not put a 12 volt pump in it and make a bait bucket? seems like a good thought, pretty simple and inexpensive. could use it for a seat or hat too

Jeffreyd, Frabil makes it. It runs on 2 D cells. It also has a 12V adapter. I am wearing out my second one. They are nice though.

If I take some pics tomorrow I will post. What I did was put some plastic pipe straps towards the bottom and some velcro at the top. This holds your rods in place on the outside so then you have room for the vex or camera inside the bucket. Attach some of velcro on the rods as well(it does not affect performance of the rods) you can also get a magnet from menards(has a hole in it for screwing in to bucket) use to hold jigs or your needle nose pliers. I'm trying to figure a way to put the ice scoop on the outside as well. I think I will use some 2" plastic pipe. Good luck and have fun

My brother-in-law showed me how he had made a taller pail for sitting on. He took the handle off one. Then he cut the bottom out of the second one and set it inside the first.It rests about 6 to 8 inches from the bottom of the lower one. He then drills and pop rivets the two together. Taller buckets hold your rods better for transporting. I found some red plastic rod holders that clip to the rim of a bucket that hold the rod off the ice and within grabbing range.

I tried making something similar , however with having the bigger display on the birds it really was a lot of bucket to cut out. Didn't work to well. I'm thinking I might be able to make it work with one of those square kitty litter buckets. Now I just gotta find someone that has a cat.

Finlander and mnguy--obviously you don't sit on it.

How do you see the Vex in the bucket if you are sitting on it?

I don't sit on a bucket when I'm running a string of holes(hence hole hopping) smile. I just kneel on the ice.

When I'm in the tent I just prop it up with a little snow so it angles up a few degrees and it works just perfect.

I hardly ever fish in the tent unless I've got a really hot hole all day long and how often does that happen.

Dave

Thanks for the compliment..it was alot of fun to make and come in handy alot when the sunfish are moving around. Ktapper we cut the bucket in half then take a 10 gallon square tub and glue the bucket in the middle so it looks alot like the ones you would buy

Here's my contribution to the 5 gallon bucket mod. I've always felt that the gas lantern was one of the most essential items of an ice fishing equipment list; it provides reliable light and heat for a long time and very cheaply. So about 15 years or so ago, I created my first "heat seat". These pictures are of version 3. This thing takes the considerable heat from a lantern and funnels it right to your hands and face, all while focusing the light forward on your hole.

(First time posting pics, so sorry if it is not formatted correctly blush)

P1030255.jpgP1030254.jpgP1030259.jpg