• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New String

DooWap

How often do you guys restring your bow? My Bowtech Tribute has the original string and cables (3 years old now) and it seems like they may have stretched. I feel like the draw length is about 1/2 inch longer than it started and I lost a little zip on my arrows. The condition of the string seems fine, however, as far as fraying.

Yep, it's time. New (i.e., '09) strings are better, but the strings they used a few years ago weren't quite as good (not terrible by any means, but they did stretch). I'd suggest you get a new set of strings. Or... go crazy and get a new bow!

I look for wear, my hunting rig has been 4 years now.. My target bow about the same. But plan on re-stringing the hunting bow this summer. If the bow feels about 1/2" longer can you adjust the bow?.. if the string looks good.. why replace it.. ?

On a side note... I am confused by your statement that you lost a little zip?.. All things considered, if your string lengthens, "Usually" you gain speed, not loose it.

I'm with Dietz here and I usually watch for wear.

However, my current string is pretty beat up from hitting my arm until I changed my shooting style a bit. Now I don't hit my arm there at all but most pro shops tell me I need a new string and I tell them "no thanks"

if you like the bow, then dont buy a new one like mentioned!! just re string it, but with higher end strings. i put zebra barracuda on mine, and love them. i thought they were spendy until i looked at winnerschoice...wow! but, from what i hear, well worth it.

on a side note, everyone seems to opt for the newest and latest product every year. new high end strings, 150 bucks. new bow and the trimmings, just to have new strings, up around 1400 bucks once equiped!!

I look at it this way. If you need new tires on your truck, you dont buy a new truck...do you?? grin

ps, if u do the string, make sure you do the cable as well!!

You should be able to go to any local pro shop and order up a set of Vaportrail strings - made in Ham Lake for around $80.00 for strings, cable and have them installed. If you were to order them directly from Vaportrail you would get them in 3 days or so in any colors you would want(shops will charge you for instillation) or stop by your proshop and tell them the colors you are looking for and they would be able to get you set up in about a week.

One big plus to going to a good aftermarket string is the ability to loose that rubber tubing for the peep sight. You will pick up speed because there is less weight on the string.

Good Luck

Steve

I second the vaportrail. I put them on my Ross a few years ago and they work great and for the price it works for my wallet too. My Ross is single cam so timing issues arent as apparent as binary cams but from what Ive heard its just one more thing to do with your bow to keep it in top shape

I also suggest vaportrail strings they are great and will last you a long time not to mention they are made in Mn.I just placed a order on friday for myself they said they would ship by tuesday this week. Great people to deal with. If you need a new rest their limbdriver is great too.

I have to ask this but is there really that big of a difference in speed with strings compared to one another? My Liberty is going on 5 years or more and it looks fine to me i just keep putting beeze wax on it and never let it hit my arm.

mr

I have to ask this but is there really that big of a difference in speed with strings compared to one another? My Liberty is going on 5 years or more and it looks fine to me i just keep putting beeze wax on it and never let it hit my arm.

mr

Yes, different strings can provide failry significant speed variations. The difference between certain strings may be 5-10 fps when brand new. Add string stretch and you could see another 5-10 fps. Its amazing how speed is affected by little things. Now, will the shooter or the prey readily notice the changes, its not likely.