• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sticking carp through the ice

fishuhalik

I have never intentionally went for carp, but I have speared a few on rivers. I have speared some in 5' of water over a thick weed bed. The others I have speared come on the main river drop between 7'-16', with the weeds coming out to the 7' mark.

Anyone know of someone who makes a good corn decoy? smile

why would you use a corn decoy when it leagle to use the real stuff. and I bet if you drive around farmland USA there is some still standing might be feed corn but thats all a carp needs feed laughlaughlaugh

If you eat them, I would say go for it.

Heck, they're carp. If he throws them in the garbage or digs a hole a burrys em, I could care less.

Fishuhalik,

I've had friends who've done very well during the winter. I'm not sure their technique, however. But give it a try and let us know!

I don't know if it is just the lakes I am on or I get lucky but I spear quite a few carp just swimming through the hole when I am out chasing northerns. Biggest I have gotten was 36lbs. Most are 5-10 but I normally get at least a couple shots everytime I go out it seems.

yeah the president of the Land of lakes Bowfishing association has the same setup you guys do for spearing pike, but brings his bow and shoots rough fish instead! I think he is in less than 6 FOW...

I am not sure where he does this but I don't think it is legal in MN except maybe on a liberalized lake.

I could be wrong though?

Bowfishing is legal until the season ends the last Sunday in February. What isn't legal is harvesting pike with the bow.

I have always been under the impression that it was not legal to discharge a bow inside a darkhouse.

Once again I could be wrong though?

I can check with the DNR to see what they say?

I know there have been others that have asked me I always thought it was illegal.

Ok, I know for a fact you can bowfish until the season ends, but I don't know about inside a darkhouse, good idea to ask.

I am not too sure how else you would do it though?

Maybe some rivers would be open?

The confusion may have come from people wanting to bowfish for pike in a darkhouse?

What I don't understand, is why wouldn't you be allowed to use a bow to spear pike in the winter, during season, if you follow the rules of a tethered line no longer that 20'. Which is the same rules that apply to a spandard spear.

What I don't understand, is why wouldn't you be allowed to use a bow to spear pike in the winter, during season, if you follow the rules of a tethered line no longer that 20'. Which is the same rules that apply to a spandard spear.

With the current regs you can't use a bow to take game fish.

Other than that I don't know why?

That would be something that the bowfishing assn's to persue if they were interested in changing the law?