• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

no door on clam kenai?!

Burnham

ok so i am glad to see clam has came up with a cheaper house..ive been seeing the clam kenai for about 150, but the fact that it has no door makes me realize that although there are flaps to pack snow on, one cannot do it when they are already in the house. on really windy days how do the small one man clams handle with your rear end in the seat and lets say if you have to lean forward to grab something?

I've got a Frabill Recon that doesn't have a door. I have had a little trouble getting it sealed up from the elements nicely, but if there is enough snow or you pile up your auger slush against the corners and sides and especially the points near where your feet are, it isn't all that bad.

Not having a door is definitely not ideal, but when you are saving $100+ it gives you something to think about.

In my opinion Clam has taken a couple steps backwards this year with there one man flip over shacks.

That is a terrible sales decision, by not puting a front door in, how can they make the Fish Trap Scouts last year with the door and this year no door with the Kenai? C'mon last year you could find the Scout for the same price as the Kenai now and it had the door.

And another thing Clam eliminated the best one man shak ever the Fish Trap Pro? and replaced it with the Kodiak that is only 36" wide inside? that is terrible the Pro was always 45" wide. And all that extra length out in front of a person now with the Kodiak instead is stupid that is not where most ice fisherman are gonna want the extra space another terrible sales decision.

Oh We'll you wont see me buying anymore Clam one man flip over shaks any longer until they get it together.

A way to get around this, and to have the skirting sit tight onto the ice... Get yourself a couple small pieces of pipe that you can cap off. They dont have to be huge, in circum or length. But, get ones you can cap off.. About a foot long.

Fill em with sand or something else, and cap em. Then make a slit in the three sides of the skirting. And when it gets windy, slide the pipes into the skirting, to keep it tight when you flip it down.

Doesnt add much weight to your sled either.

I have a Pro and don't use the door all that much (the zipper likes to give me a hard time), so when I set it up on windy days I just pull the flaps to the inside and cover them with snow or the ice from the hole I cut. If I need to get out I pull the snow or whatever off the flaps.

Why not go the larger Clam....the Nanook. I have a Eskimo 1 man and get a buddy to throw snow on the skirt once I get on to a spot. I picked up the Nanook and made some Mod's to it. Took out the factory seats and put in Boat seats. Also took off the bolts holding the Seat frame to the Sled. Now I can leave out one seat and fish solo with alot of room. One thing that did attract me to the unit is that they added the back D-door.

Usually I run short of room when I set up the Heater, UW Camera and Sonar along with the holes. Now I can setup and get in/out via the Back door.. Just a thought...

yea I know what you mean about not having the door. I just bought one. I feel that if they can put a door in the scout why didn't they do it to the kenai. I will be asking the clam reps when I am at the ice show this weekend. I will for sure be buying a replacement tent for it if they decide to put a door in it. I have a feeling they will be taking alot of heat over this. other than that it is a nice house.

tchow the only problem with the nanook is that is it 90Lbs where as the kenai is 50Lbs. I personally wouldn't want to pull the extra 40Lbs around by hand. Now if I were to pull it with a snowmobile or 4 wheeler then yes I would choose the nannook over the kenai. Actually at some point in time I am going to buy a nannook thermal so I can take my son out fishing with me(he's only 3)but when I am alone I would use my kenai.

I got a quote from CC on putting a door in a single porty. I think it was around $80. At that point, you can just step up to the Kodiak, or go with the Frabill Commando, which I've heard is a great one man shelter.

I looked at both of the new one man houses last weekend up at Reeds, I too think they took a step backwards. Yeah the sleds are nice and deep but they are long and narrow as well. They should have kept the old pro sled dimensions and made it deeper. After looking over the new ones throughly I picked up last years pro, just too many disadvantages with the new designs.

tchow the only problem with the nanook is that is it 90Lbs where as the kenai is 50Lbs. I personally wouldn't want to pull the extra 40Lbs around by hand. Now if I were to pull it with a snowmobile or 4 wheeler then yes I would choose the nannook over the kenai. Actually at some point in time I am going to buy a nannook thermal so I can take my son out fishing with me(he's only 3)but when I am alone I would use my kenai.

I installed runners to the base and picked up the Clam Harness. Have not had the chance to use it the Harness yet but it looks like it'll make it way easlier to pull along. It comes with 2 lengths of Strap that are 8' Where the rope goes into the sled, I installed U-Bolts with Fender Washers for added strength around the holes. With my other tents, did the same as I find the ropes are too short that the units come with. With added length and Harness on, and pulling with Upper body and hands free, will make it easier to move around with a load.

Still going to use the 1 Man but with Heater, 10" Auger, UW Cam, Sonar, lunch, and tackle....you get the picture with all this in the one Man...LOL

With everything setup in the Nanook, it'll be much easier to get in/out by the Backdoor than the front door. That's the main reason I went it.

Bonus is that I usually fish with a big young lad. He's more than helpful to pull the loaded Sled for me for trips I don't use the Quad. In a few years, your boy will be big enough to pull the Sled for you and can sit back and fish....LOL

Good luck on the Hardwater.

I have an old fish trap with no door, I put dowels in the skirts and it works really well on all but the coldest days, the space is so small that if I use a heater at all its usually too warm and usually end up having to prop the bottom up anyway

I have an older Kenai without the door and don't see it as a downfall.

If tehre was a door on it, it would have to be on the back anyways, it only so wide and if it's on the front of the house, you are either stepping in a hole or over a heater.....

As far as it being open after flipping it down, yea thats a slight downfall, but the size of the shack and any heater at all, you need some fresh air...

I usually have enough skirt from the canvas to pull in and step on the edges after I flip it down.

For the size of the tub, the weight and the price I think it's just perfect for me.