• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Plow

HOT SPOT

I am looking at getting a plow. I am not sure what Kind / type I want to get. Would a v nose be the way to go? What do you guy’s recommend as far as what brand/ size to get? And what kind of price would the set up be?

The plow will be going on a 05 Sportsman 500. It will be used on the lake as well as my driveway.

Thanks

V-Plow can run you major bucks.

I would honestly opt for the County Style plow. They taper off to one side and will help throw the snow a little better.

A straight blade wouldn't be a bad choice either as you can still angle it one direction or the other. The Polaris plow system IMO is one of the best out there.

I got the Glacier II plow for my Polaris Ranger. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. One of the features I like is that it is very easy to change the plow angle. I can have it straight, or angle it two positions to the right or left simply by pulling a lever and turning the plow to let it latch into one of the other positions. I can have it on or off the Ranger in about 15 seconds. Most of that time is spent connecting or disconnecting the limit switch connectors.

I tried the Moose rapid mount last year and did not like it and brought it back. I did not like the clearance it had when angled and lifted. I also didn't like the way the winch pulled almost straight back to lift the plow. I went with the older tube runner style Moose and like it so far.

I'm not sure of the width of your bike but a 54" plow seems to work well on most brands . I just have the Warn that I got from the dealer at the time the bike was purchased . It angles in both directions and seems to so far be holding up good .There are other brands as have been mentioned and some have heavier gauge steel than others .

By having the plow the same width or a bit more as your atv tires are, you are clearing a path for them to grip . I don't advise going narrower because of this . Now by the same token if the plow is too long and you angle it to max it could get up too close to your tires if the push tube does not extend far enough .Most manufacturers have taken this into consideration though .

Also keep that angle adjustment lever area well lubed with WD40 or something . It will help make it alot easier to change the angle when you wish because it does like to ice up .

Dammit . I just looked outside and there is snow . LOL. Time to dig out the plow and put the Big Bear to work . LOL

TD

I have the Glacier I plow system from Polaris. It sure is nice like Retired_on_O says it only takes a few seconds to remove or attach the plow. I haven't had any experience with any other systems so it's nice to hear that it's one of the better ones (per LEP7). I've had it for a few years now and have had no problems.

I have a 500 Sportsman X2 and use the Glacier II Plow System from Polaris and it has worked great for 3 seasons now. I plow a long driveway, as well as a 1.5 mile section of road. Very easy and fast installation, easy on & off and convenient for the user.

I have a 60" Razor Blade, which I would highly recommend (whatever you go with, I would get a 60" blade). I also added a rubber plow extension to the top of the blade (available through Polaris) last year to get snow up and over high drifts, which worked very well.

I would also recommend using the synthetic rope style winch cable. It handles the wear and tear of using the plow much better.

Being that you have a Polaris, and that I've not had a single problem with mine after 3 seasons of heavy use, I would recommend this system for you. I haven't used anything else though, so I cannot compare it to anything.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Plowing used to be a chore, now it's actually something I look forward to. It's fun and the end result of using this system is great.

Thanks For the help. Do you guys use a seperate battery for the winch? I have had lots of battery problems with my wheeler and I am worried about it killing the battery quick. Have any of you polaris guys had problems with that type of problem? I was really close to selling/trading it in with the problems I have had with it.

I haven't had any battery problems with using the winch & plow. I've stored mine in a non-heated garage, but always had a charger on it that maintains a good charge on the battery during the winter only. Whenever it was not running I just plugged it into the battery and it kept it in good condition.

We've owned 3 different Polaris wheelers and never had any battery issues like you describe (2 of them weren't hooked up to a plow though).

I hope you can figure out the problem.

I haven't had any problems at all with the winch/plow. Stored in a non-heated garage. I drive it every week so I don't put a charger on it.

Hope you can figure it out. I'm sure others here can maybe offer some suggestions.

I have been doing a little digging and I came across this

60" black straight Snow/Dirt/Gravel blade/ glacier 2 plow frame and glacier plow mount

How do you guys think this sytem would work ? I am not sure what a good deal is but would $425 be worth it for everything?

Thanks

How old is the equipment? If you found it on a commonly known auction site, see if you could personally inspect the equipment prior to buying. There's a lot that can be found if you see it in person such as cracks, bent tubes, scraper blade that needs to be replaced.

Plows and the mounting equipment take a lot of abuse, so buyer beware on used equipment.

If that was a new price, I'd be all over it. wink

Yes, that's a great price IF it's in good shape. As Lep said, this stuff takes abuse. All it takes is a rock frozen in the ground to bend blades, snap bolts and crack mount plates. Try to inspect, otherwise, it is buyer-beware. Check the seller though, If he/she has a good rating, chances are it's in good shape.

One interesting option to combat that is the Sno Sport plow. They're an extruded aluminum with a heavy rubber scraper bar. Not sure how long that lasts though. They also require the operator to dismount the machine to raise the plow by hand.