• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On the road with Ken and Steve, Part 8,493

Yeah, we did it again. For various reasons we needed to get away for a day, so Ken and I headed to the Sax-Zim Bog yesterday for our first bog trot of the winter season.

Lots of activity out there. Aside from what's pictured, there were plenty of rough-legged hawks, goldfinches, pine grosbeaks, etc. While there's no snow yet, winter seems to be about to happen in the bog.

Female downy woodpecker

downy.jpg

Bald eagle

eagle.jpg

White-winged crossbills (we saw several groups with several miles between groups, perhaps 30-40 in all)

I gave this what I call the Bateman treatment in Photoshop, working with levels and sharpening to make it look a bit like a Robert Bateman painting

web-trio.jpg

Gray jay

hunched.jpg

And another kind of jay (black-capped Mandich in winter plumage) gringrin

jasonweb.jpg

My personal favorite is the black-capped Mandich. There's only one known individual of the species in northeastern Minnesota. Plus, he travels very widely, not unlike a flock of Bohemian waxwings searching out sources of winter fruit, so you never know if you'll find him even in his back yard. Only problem is I don't know where to put the species on my life list. winkwinkwink

Good day as always, Steve! Great pix - especially of the black-capped Jay. I've noticed his pattern is to be near a particular habitat about dusk. Mostly travels on his own, but gregarious when encountered.

Of few of my shots from the day:

Eagles all over the place:

SZ.jpg

Ms. Downy checkin' us out:

SZ2-2.jpg

One of a thousand gray jays:

SZ3-2.jpg

Crossbills piggin' out:

SZ4-2.jpg

I always like cranberry shots against a stark background:

SZ5-2.jpg

And a skittish chickadee that stopped for 1/10th of a second!

SZ6-1.jpg

Nice work boys! As usual, I have a difficult time picking a "favorite", each has individual qualities.

About the black-capped jay - it appears there is an electronic apparatus strapped to his back - do you suppose he's one of those birds the DNR is tracking with a special gps???

Love those Gray Jays. You guys have way too much fun up there!

And we share that fun with a LOT of HSO/FM comrades/comradesses who brave the trip to the Great White North. I'm kinda thinking we're probably going to have a Sax-Zim Bog photo get-together this winter like we've had before. Ken, the black-capped Mandich and I kicked it around a bit when we met up in the Bog yesterday, and it seemed like a good idea.

Nice shots, boys. I'm going to have to get up there and get a shot of that black capped Jay. That's a cool looking critter.

Seriously, another get together would be awesome. I was just discussing this with my photo partner today, while out driving around looking for critters in SW MN. At least this year, I'd have someone to share the 5 hour drive with. The third weekend in December would be cool.

I sure would like to get up that way to get an Eagle picture or two. I would like to see those Gray Jays up close also. Looks like I could get a picture of them without the need of a high power lens. This pictures are great.

You can get gray jay pictures with a 100mm lens with no problem when they're coming in for food.

Originally Posted By: X-tackleman
The third weekend in December would be cool.

Well, I seriously doubt we're going to have it on the last weekend before Christmas.

Christmas is on a Friday this year, so that would make it 5 or 6 days before Christmas. Two years ago, we had it 5 days after Christmas. Same distance, different direction. wink

Christmas is on a Friday this year, so that would make it 5 or 6 days before Christmas. Two years ago, we had it 5 days after Christmas. Same distance, different direction. wink

Whatever. Lots easier to get folks together after Christmas than during the buildup before the holiday. But you win, good buddy! gringrin

Originally Posted By: X-tackleman

Whatever. Lots easier to get folks together after Christmas than during the buildup before the holiday. But you win, good buddy! gringrin

What do I win? confused You might be right. The only weekend that affects me is the weekend closest to Christmas. But, that's me. Others may get more involved beforehand or even celebrate that weekend. I guess selfish little ole me was only thinking about myself again. My bad. blush

Alright guys you won't believe this. I am driving home today and a Great Gray owl is sitting on FOSS Road at 2 p.m. Go figure huh? smile

A bog gathering sounds great. I think the best time is when ever it decides to snow and gets colder....grin

I like January, but I live close by so it doesn't matter to me.

You never know what will show up at one of these gatherings. A weasel climbed through 4 vehicles at one of them.

4146649564_8af4860709_o.jpg

I would love to drop in on a gathering like that, if ya'll didn't mind. Any certain time of the winter when there is the greatest number and variety of criters there? If so that might help plan the date.

There really doesn't seem like a better time than any other for a winter Bog trot. Once winter is actually here and the winter species have come down and feeders are established, it seems to flow well all winter long.

I'm not going to be able to do anything much before Christmas. We've done it on a Saturday so all the weekend warriors can make it, and everyone from HSO/FM is welcome. Like the fishing GTGs, it's a great way to put names with faces.

Jason, I love that little weasel. Aside from great pictures, he was great entertainment. Where is Foss Road? I'll have to start frequenting my namesake location. gringrin