• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

??

pascooter94

im looking to buy a used atv (4x4) and dont know who makes a good one, useing it for deer hunting and for icefishing.

new at this so please help,

and if there are any for sale out there im looking for one and a trailer.

dont know how much to spend so if the right thing comes along we can talk. thanks.

Asking which brand or model is a good one is like asking which professional sports team is the best. You're going to get a lot of opinions about a lot of machines.

All I can say is that when you find one you are interested in, look it over carefully. ATVs are notoriously abused. It's the nature of the beast.

From my experience I'd recommend at least 300cc. I have a 1999 Kawasaki Prairie 300 and am very pleased with it. There are a few things about it that I don't like but these are not issues with new ones. Here's my list of pros and cons.

Pros

Has plenty of zip for a 300.

Surprisingly powerful. I use mine for farm work as well as pleasure.

Very reliable unit. I've had no problems with it except to have to replace the spark plug once.

Easy on fuel.

Comfortable ride

Cons

Full-time 4x4. It would be nice to be able to run in 2x4.

Does not have engine braking capability. New models do.

Air cooled engine. Can be a problem on hot days if I don't move too much. I use it for rock picking and this is when I have to pay attention to engine temp. Slow trail riding can be risky too although so far it hasn't been an issue.

Rear straight axle. Independent suspension would be nice. Adds ground clearance and more comfortable ride. Rear axle is nice for the rock trailer though.

Just some thoughts about my experience. Hope it's helpful.

I agree, asking which fourwheeler to buy on a forum like this is a bad question to ask cause everyone will have different opinions!!

The best thing you can do is ride different machines to see what you like and dislike in them!! I ride a kawasaki 650 brute force and love it. It has TONS of power and so far has been very reliable, the only thing i wish that was different was that it has indepedent rear suspension, I do alot of ditch riding and it is a rough ride without it!!! But you can't beat the kawi V-Twin!!

But ride all the brands and see which one fits you best, they all have their pros and cons!!

I can't really make a recommendation but I'll do what Bob did and give you the pros and cons of mine. Call it a little insider info.

2000 Yamaha Big Bear 400.

Pros-

Very reliable, An ungodly amount of pulling power for it's size, not very heavy, solid axle rear and posi front for very good traction, easy to horse around on trailers.

Cons-

All time 4 wheel drive, can be difficult to turn when moving slow, solid axle rear and not independant suspension makes for a rougher ride than other units, parts are not cheap.

I have an '04 Arty 500I auto and have loved it so far. I also have experience with an '02 prairie 650 and a number of Hondas (ranchers, rubicon, older fourtrax). They were solid units for me as well. I know that certain models are prone to being cold blooded, expensive to fix, hard on belts, etc. The models I've ran have treated me right. There are a lot of good machines out there though there are some years/models that you may want to shy away from as well. You may want to consider options in refining your list. Are you towing a house or looking for a smooth ride?? (fixed axle versus independent suspension). Are you looking auto or manual? Is ground clearance a factor?? .......... Happy atv hunting!!

The straight axle for towing is only beneficial if the trailer has a tongue weight. For example, pulling a 4-wheel trailer won't have a tongue weight and so it won't squat your machine. From what your saying pascooter94, I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you're thinking of new, I suspect that most any machine will be satisfactory. If you're thinking used, look it over closely. ATV's are notoriously abused. It's the nature of the beast.

Edit: Oops! Said that already.

I too will follow the lead of Bob T and boilerguy to give you the pros and cons of my machine but keep in mind that I have ridden others and liked them all too .

I have the same bike boilerguy has only a newer version . Its a 2008 Big Bear 400 .

Pros : oodles of power with the gearing it has .

IRS means smooth ride

2wd,4wd,4wd differential lock

easy on fuel

starts great at all temps

Cons : Could use 1 more high gear

:Although it is a carbed bike and starting and running has never been an issue most bikes are going with the modern fuel injection tech .

Price wise if buying new . Likely one of the better buys out there for what you get but it is a semi automatic and many don't like to shift gears .

Buying used of any brand . Buyer BEWARE .That being said there are lots of bikes out there that have hardly been used and never abused just don't get in a hurry to buy .

TD

I'll throw my two cents out as well. Wheelers I've owned:

2003 Honda Foreman ES-- Good machine. Had plenty of power and the ES worked well. Good puller with low range and solid rear axle. Little cold blooded though. Make sure you know where the primer is. Reason I got rid of it is I wanted a full automatic as when my nieces and nephews rode it they didn't understand that you had to shift. That was my excuse to treat myself to a new machine wink

2005 Honda Rubicon-- Another good reliable Honda. Very strong pulling machine. Good low range and the solid rear axle. The Hondamatic trans. was very smooth and always in the right gear. This machine was also cold blooded and had to prime it a fair amount in the winter. Another downfall is that an oil change takes over 5 quarts as you fill the engine AND the trans. I would change mine twice a year to switch weights. Got rid of this machine to get an EFI.

Current machine is a 2008 Can-Am 650XT-- So far I have loved this machine. The power is phenomenal. Good low range and have no doubt she will be able to tow anything I throw at her. The ride is by far the best I've ridden, course it is IRS. My Pa just loves this machine compared to the others. Just turn the key and she starts right up. Only things I've noticed is that she does run a little warmer than others I've owned, also you sometimes have to "rock" her to get into gear.

Well, that is my two cents hope it helps a little bit. Think there is still some good deals out there on new machines. I will stress again to look over a used machine very thoroughly. Get a history on it. Ask to speak to the previous owner(s). Get as much info as you can. Good luck and let us know what you are finding and if you have any other questions.

RED

Two of my friends own Can-Am machines. One is a 400 (2 years old) and the other is a 650 two-up (3 years old). I've been quite impressed with the power, drive train, ride, etc. They are a bit more spendy though and both machines have experienced issues with the electronics. In particular the instrument panel fogging up causing problems with the electronics. Don't know if the Mfr. has solved this on the newer machines.

I've owned 2:

1995 Polaris 300:

Pros: Great machine, never a problem, plenty of power and speed.

Cons: The old 2 stroke (smokey). Straight rear axel.

2005 Polaris 450 Sportsmen:

Pros: All the power and speed I would ever want. Quiet 4 stroke. Independent rear suspension = fantastic riding machine.

Cons: ? Haven't had a problem with it yet, other than a recalled ECM.

Personally, I believe all brands make great products nowadays. Once you limit your decision down to a unit(if you're looking to buy used), post a question about the specific make and model here and you will get a loot of good feedback from experienced owners.