• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kennel training

Kyle

I have a 10 week old golden retriever. I got him last thursday, and have been kenneling(crate) him while at work, and when needing to for errands etc...I realize at this point he is still not sure of his surroundings, but how do you train your puppy to want to be in his kennel, and actually go in when you tell him to? He cries for about 10 mins when I leave then goes to sleep.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

It's a dogs natural instinct to kennel. They are denning animals.

So leave it accessible all the time if you can and when you want your dog to kennel either put something your puppy wants, like a treat, in the kennel while it is watching you or make it unpleasant for it outside the kennel. I recommend the positive method.

Always say a command such as kennel when your dog is crossing the kennel threshold. Be consistent with this and it won't be long and all you will need to do is say kennel and your dog will cross the threshold.

I use the same process for going through doorways and loading into my vehicle as well. I don't like dogs who rush out/in doors on me. A well trained dog should always wait for permission to cross any threshold.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Some puppies can be messy. I recommend just a few pieces of kibble or a treat rather than full out feeding, unless you have a very tidy puppy or one that always eats all of its food.

Also, never, ever put the dog in the kennel as a punishment, or he/she will associate bad things with the kennel. Make it a positive experience.

If he cries for 10 minutes and then sleeps, you're well on your way. It will just take a little time, and he'll get used to it. He's probably still missing his littermates, too!

we use to put our labs kennel when he was small in the front room with us and leave the door open. that way he could go in anytime he wanted, however if he tried to pull blanket out then we would stop him. we do it today with the new lab too, he would stay in kennel all the time if we would let him but he needs to play too. good luck

Definitely reward them when they go it (treat/toy). It will become a positive experience for them. If he is only crying for 10 min, you are well on your way!!!! (that's common)

Just be consistent with it.

My dog seems to respond better to hand signals so I'll also and a hand gesture with the kennel up command.

At first it was a matter of throwing a treat in the back of the kennel and as soon as he cross into the kennel I would give the command. After awhile he'd go in with the command and the hand gesture (I point at the crate).

Now at 8 months old I can just point at the crate from anywhere on the first floor of the house with out a command and he goes right in. I don't always give him a treat for going in anymore but I will once in awhile just to reinforce it being a good thing.