• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nikon Question

I'm in the market for a better camera for taking vacation pics and family stuff, more or less a good camera. Not wanting to spend a fortune on a SLR. What the opinions on the L100 for a basic general use camera? I'm no pro and never will be just want something I can take a good pic at 500 feet away. Missed out on to many good pics while on Vermilion that my cheapie couldnt get the pic.

I've been A Nikon guy for well over 40 years but when it comes to point and shot cameras I would never buy anything but a but a Canon! That is real hard for me to say.

Pooie. I'd put a Panasonic P & S up against a Canon any day. The Panny Lumix series sports the highly reputable Leica lens. It's tough to beat for quality. I got many good shots with mine before I joined the DSLR world. What sold me on the Panasonic, besides the lens, was the shutter lag was much less than on the Canon equivalent.

Both fine brands, however. I also wouldn't rule out Olympus or Fuji. Nowadays, they can all do great jobs in the right hands.

I would start out by making a list of what you really want out of the camera. We did that and it helped us quite a bit. We wanted a longer zoom, a viewfinder(I hate the LCD screen during the day), higher mega pixel, we also wanted to be able to have a few picture taking options on the camera.

There are many, many cameras that take good pictures out there, but not all fit what I wanted in a camera, no one camera that fits all needs/wants. Figure out what you want before you start shopping it will make the process a bit easier.

Quote:
just want something I can take a good pic at 500 feet away

That part is going to be tough with any P&S but the greater amount of optical zoom the better your chances of making out what it actually is and not just a black dot in the distance.

This lens at $120,000.00 would get you close to your object at 500' winkgrin

116642.jpg

I would agree, Lumix is a great camera. I have a friend that has one and it takes great pics. Correct me if I'm wrong, the last time I check they were a lot more expensive then most of the cannons.

I just wish someone would come out with fully manual digital range finder with out all the auto stuff. One with a 10-20 wide angle lens. Then I could leave one of my DSLR's at home and lighten my load in the field.

Distance pics would be scenery mostly, most photos would be weddings, graduations, vacations ect. Like I said I have no clue abot these things. My little cheapie Sanyo takes great pic as long as your within 25 feet of the object, but a pair of loons 100' from the boat it won't do. It does fine for the boat or ice shack to take fish pics thats about it.

Another thing to consider is if you get something with a higher mega pixel you can crop pics quite a bit before the quality goes a way, unless you plan on blowing them way up.

Here is one that I took with my 20x digital zoom 12 mega pixel cannon that I cropped a fair amount. I wouldn't be able to blow it up any but the quality ain't too bad. I am not sure how far but you could barely see the eagle without the zoom. I am pretty sure it was well over 500 feet away.

IMG_0089.jpg

Here are 3 shots taken with my Panasonic 6 megapixel camera a couple years ago. The goldfinch was shot at the full zoom and the scenic was wide angle and the goose was pretty close. I Actually printed these at 8 X 10 and they look pretty darned good. If you look at the right hand corner of the lake shot, you can even make out the small dog on the rocks.

4094883969_03f8d75e69_o.jpg

4095642346_5270215983_o.jpg

4095642470_3a7745c466_o.jpg

My gf was recently in the market for a p&s and was talkin to a guy at the local camera shop bout it. He said as far as lense quality goes, panasonic is hands down the best due to the lieca lense, but you may pay a lil more. Sony is also a good choice because the use a lot of cool new technology but are also a lil more. Probably one of the coolest point and shoots on the market right now is the sony HX1, a lot of complex featers, high image quality, and it has a crazy pan shot ability where you move the camera in a sweeping motion to capture pan shots that you don't have to stitch. Kodak usually has some nice models and there big thing is user friendlyness. Canon is always strong here, as is nikon. He said olympus is kind of an odd duck as they are about the only ones to still use Xd cards anymore..( I thought they were extinct lol) but they have a line of "tough" models that supposedly withstand the elements. Hope that helps a lil.

Ok took a day off from the lake to go and finger a few brands, and get line to respool ice rods grin Anyway after playing with a few brands I think the Canon SX20 IS will be finding its way home with me soon. Nikon is ok, Fuji seemed cheap to me Sony was nice but more than I want to spend.

Now the big question wheres the cheapest place to get one?? Little more than I was going to spend but I think well worth it.

Guessing from looking around this is a new model?? Not many used out there and a few retailers seem out of stock already?

Since posting links may be tough shoot me an e mail. [email protected]

Now the big question wheres the cheapest place to get one?? Little more than I was going to spend but I think well worth it.

Just Google the make/model no. And when you've got a bunch of possible online retailers, check them out at resellerratings . you know what.