• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

7 week old yellow female lab- biting

weld1

well lesson learned from my first lab is that i do not play too rough with our new lab. if he/she comes up and starts nipping, you have to use a firm no and discourage the action. easier said than done. we used bitter apple spray which has helped especially if the two boys get to playing too rough. patience patience patience. have fun

We found that yelping, crying type actions mimic what small pups do when they play too rough, this begin to correct there actions very fast. They do not want to hurt you so they feel bad when they do it and stop.

Good Luck!!!

I'm not sure if I would give the pup knotted up old socks to chew on. He might not be able to tell the difference between the sock its ok to chew on and the clean pair sitting in the laundry basket. You might find him chewing on any and all socks he can get his teeth on.

I found bitter apple spray to work in some instances. Really it just takes persistence and patience. Correcting the pup every time she bites. Every pup goes through it, usually subsides slowly over time. The first month or two are the worst.

I usually went with the push one or both sides of their mouth in between their upper and lower teeth. They then usually think that they have your fingers in their mouth to chew on. Well needless to say that you know how sharp their teeth are and now they do as well. Doesn't take all that long to catch on.

one thing else that we noticed was the pup would make sucking sounds when we got him. if he tried to chew on your fingers he would also suck on them too. that stopped as he got a bit older. it might be that the pup is a tad young too, 7 wks is early. we got our first lab at 7 wks 5 days second lab was about 10 wks and it helped so much more letting him stay with mom that extra couple weeks. good luck it will get better then they go to humping lol

thanks for the info! i might have to try the tounge thing, i had been doing the push the cheeks in from each side with not much luck, but when she comes after my feet i let out a fairly big wimper/whine and she backs off and looks at me like sorry daddy!! i think its helping

My Lab pup is a bit over 4 months old now and I "think" he's just starting to get over the biting/mouthing. What gives me confidence is he's teething like a maniac right now and he is starting to be mindful of my hands. He's licking now when he used to mouth.

I don't know how hard the rest of you grab/pinch their tongue with the fish mouth grab but geeeezz, I've been at it for well over a month now and it hasn't been a surefire cure. I can get him yelping and squirming but when I let go, right back to mouthing my hand.

One thing that was recommended here that had an impact was crying ouch when he bit. I make it noticeably louder, exagerate my movements when I pull my hand away, and raise the pitch of my voice like I'm screaming like a girl. Unbelievable how he responds to that.

Another thing the vet recommended was grabbing his mouth and holding it shut. And not to let go until he was doing what I wanted him to do and that was sit still. They were adamant about not letting go if he was squirming because that would teach him if he resisted, you'd let go.

And then obviously, when they are doing what you want them to do, praise them immediately.

I don't even think my lab pup knew what biting/mouthing my hand was when he was 7-8 weeks so I'm guessing you'll want to show her who's boss before it becomes a bigger problem.

There are lots of ways to deal with it. I've detailed "my" method in previous posts if you search for it.

I think the most-important thing, though, is consistency. There is no one way to train a dog, but in order to be successful, you must be consistent, or you just confuse the dog with mixed signals.

i've had luck with holding the mouth shut, getting in her face and saying no. not screaming, but a stern no. hold the mouth and look her in the eye until she settles then let go. dont squeeze, or make it hurt but enough to let her know you mean business.