• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pull start Suzuki Kingquad

Bullhead Bob

Hi,

I have a 2008 K-Quad. I've tried to pull start it using the instructions in the manual, and can't even get it to pop. It pulls incredibly hard. Does anyone know the trick? I'd like to be able to know how for emergencies in case the battery dies when I'm on the lake this winter.

Thanks

My experience is.....Battery Dead = no go

I pull start mine all the time when the battery is weak...but there needs to be a little juice there or it won't go.

A single cylinder 700 or 750 is going to be tough to start. Women..children..the old and the weak will not be pull starting many atv's.

Why don't they put a kick start on atvs like the old honda's anymore? Seems to me that would be better choice on a big bore.

One wrong stroke on a large bore motor w/kickstart and you have a one way ticket to the moon. Decomp will help. You just don't want that motor to kick back. It hurts. I know. frown

Why don't they put a kick start on atvs like the old honda's anymore? Seems to me that would be better choice on a big bore.

Ever start a Honda Cr500 dirt bike? It will rip the soles off your boot!

You need to break the compression. I think some machines have a compression release button or something. I just pull my pull cord out until I feel it turn over once and then it pulls fine. Without doing that I would throw out my shoulder.

Talked to the dealer. He said it's impossible to start with the recoil alone. It's meant to assist with a weak battery. I tried it a few days ago as I am having battery problems. It worked! You have to push the start button while you pull the recoil. The manual never mentions any of this. long story short, if you have a dead battery, hope your close to home....

For everyone who owns a Kingquad...............get a trickle charger! I used to have a KQ and I learned this the hard way. They are known to have battery problems due the the FI system. Especially with the cold weather coming, the 25 dollars for the trickle will be well worth it.

That's the reason they got rid of the pull start on the Yamahas......pretty much impossible to start and pointless to have that feature.

I tried starting my 660 once in the garage just to see.....yeah right.

Out on the ice when you'd need it? Good luck.

I have pull started my 05 700 Kingquad many times due to a weak battery, it is tough but can be done. I reccommend standing(with both feet) on the running board and using your legs, back, and arms pull as hard as you can. Be sure to pull away from your face or you might end up punching yourself in the face. I found it almost impossible to start when standing on the ground due to lack of leverage. Practice it a few times so you have confidence in it when you need it most. A trickle charger wont help you in the woods!