• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how many decoys do you lose?

mrpike1973

hi all just curious do you lose many decoys in a year i have 1 red and white one thats it for now i see they go from $8-25 a piece i know its fun to have more but just wondering if i should get another one in case i lose one i wouldnt think you would to often but ive only done it one year

in the past 5 years of spearing I lost two decoys both on the same day at the GTG on Big Lake a couple of years ago the darn knot came untied but it was my buddys spear shack that was on the lake so I blamed him for a faulty knot then ten minutes later after I retied the swivel on and snapped my favorite decoy on I gave it a jig and the knot failed mad so I blamed my buddy again for nastey decoy line laugh oh well just means gotta buy more decoys grinwink

I have only seen one of my decoys lost.

It was my brother-in-laws first time out and I was showing him the ropes. He grabbed the decoy string and gave it a tug. My newly purchased Bru-ell perch decoy took off in a straight line out of the hole and the line went limp. I bit my tongue and told him it was OK. Now I can look back at it and laugh, but at the time it wasn't so easy. lol

I have a few extra decoys now incase that happens again. :-)

I've lost only one that I didn't get back.The big northern grabbed it, shook her head, broke the line, and swam away with it in her mouth. I,ve retrieved one twice by spearing it off the bottom and another one once, by spearing it off the bottom. Sometimes when you spear a fish the decoy line gets broke off. Always have a backup.

My friend lost a brand new Laska's firetiger decoy that I let her use on Lake Washington this year...Needless to say I went home and got a 8' landing net and luckly my arms gave me the extra length I needed to save the day! Last year she lost my ice saw...again the landing net and a strong magnet saved the day!

I lost a bru-ell a long time ago, when I first started spearing. I can't even remember if I dropped it, it came untied, or what. Another one was about four years ago in the summertime, yes summertime. I had just made a couple sunfish decoys and wanted to swim test them. So, down to the river I go. Long story short, I got the butterfingers and only came back with one. cry

I've lost only one that I didn't get back.The big northern grabbed it, shook her head, broke the line, and swam away with it in her mouth.

Imagine the look on the guys face when he filets that northern and discovers a decoy in its stomach.

I have lost one decoy while spearing due to the knot coming undone and the decoy falling into some weeds and mud so that I couldn't see it to spear it. I tired but must have just pushed it deeper into the muck. Since the decoy was poured plastic, my magnet was useless. Unfortunately it was one of my most effective working decoys, a red/white Marvin Johnson decoy, the type I don't think he makes anymore.

Another time I was using a real small Ray Forner decoy and had about a four pound pike come out of nowhere, hit it and immediately snap the line. I speared the fish, and when I got it in the decoy was impaled on the center tine underneath the fish. Talk about a lucky shot! I think the decoy must have passed out the fish's gill plate or the fish may have missed the decoy, hit the line right above the decoy and cut it off.

Years ago I dropped a bear creek in 15 feet of water on woman lake.

I bent the tines in a little on my spear and kept bobbing it up and down on the bottom. I was just about to give up and I finally got it.

To this day its still my favorite decoy because it was my first.

Speared decoy off string once and had knot fail once. Now i carry a treble hook and magnet tied on same string and about a 5' piece of 1/2" pipe. so when the decoy goes sailing outside of the hole you can string the magnet/treble rig through the pipe and retrive it from out of hole range.

I have speared for two years and have lost one decoy. It was completely do to operator error as I had forgotten to close a clasp.

But by all means get more....gotta have a bunch.

+1

I lost 2 at 1 time.

I had just rigged up a sucker below a red/white Bear Creek (sound familiar BnS ?). As soon as I dropped the rig into the water, I knew I had forgotten the clasp. Not a good day for the sucker minnow. I tried to get it, but the sucker swam off townig Bear Creek. They are probably both on the bottom of square lk right now.

I ever only lost one decoy due to a broken snap swivel. Like ER I lost mine in the weeds and mud and all efforts to retrieve it drove it further in the mud.

It was a good lesson learned, I know replace my snap swivels several times a year.