• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ever wonder...

vister

ya know, like alot of you guys, i enjoy watching hunting shows quite regularly. they do offer different tips and tricks to help your success, and occassionly the new must have gadget you find yourself wondering why you bought such a thing. but, you often hear the hunters comment on how they are going to take a doe to put in the freezer. what do they actually do with them bucks they harvest? some of those guys shoot 10 bucks a year, not to mention the elk, bear, mule deer, caribou, etc.

i consider myself a trophy hunter. but thats because i'm fortunate to get to select which buck i shoot. and if given a chance at a lone mature doe, she too is coming home with me. however, regardless of sex, and if its, roasts, steaks, chops, brats, dogs, sausage or jerky, i'm going to eat every last bite i can!

afterall, fooling the senses of a deer is no easy task, making every harvested deer a trophy, just some shinier than others.

alot of those big bucks you see are raised on farms and transported in for the show, i talked to a guy in danbury, wis who has a farm of deer for that reason alone. these deer come with a pretty big price tag too.....

Yes, some of the goofs on tv do shoot deer that have been raised behind fences for their headgear. However, it is pretty easy to determine which shows are doing this as they are usually pushing the "outfitter" pretty hard and you can google the "outfitter". Also, the guys that aren't seem to show alot more footage of land preparation and herd management, and not just shooting huge bucks.

As to the intial post, I always wonder what is done with all the venison. I usually just assume its being donated to the food shelter, hunters for the hungry, etc.

The primetime shows, such as anything done by the Drury's, Lakoski's, Primos boys, Michael Waddell, etc. are not hunting high fence deer. These guys, however, frequently are: Nuge, The Warren's (Keith & Allen), Hank Parker, anyone who is from Nascar and has a hunting show, etc.

the nuge does high fence hunts??? I would have never guessed that the warrens however i am not suprised at all.

My guess was they have large game feeds at the end of the seasons with lots of different game and 100 different kinds of sticks and sausage

wow the uncle ted just came down in the level of respect. he will still remain on the top of the list for his attitude towards everything though haha. I read a magazine article where the author talked about knowing a guy on a show that shot a deer with his muzzy, showed footage from the same hunt with his bow for a different show, and then posed for pics with the deer with his rifle lol

Originally Posted By: RIPN LIPS
alot of those big bucks you see are raised on farms and transported in for the show, i talked to a guy in danbury, wis who has a farm of deer for that reason alone. these deer come with a pretty big price tag too.....

Yes, some of the goofs on tv do shoot deer that have been raised behind fences for their headgear. However, it is pretty easy to determine which shows are doing this as they are usually pushing the "outfitter" pretty hard and you can google the "outfitter". Also, the guys that aren't seem to show alot more footage of land preparation and herd management, and not just shooting huge bucks.

As to the intial post, I always wonder what is done with all the venison. I usually just assume its being donated to the food shelter, hunters for the hungry, etc.

The primetime shows, such as anything done by the Drury's, Lakoski's, Primos boys, Michael Waddell, etc. are not hunting high fence deer. These guys, however, frequently are: Nuge, The Warren's (Keith & Allen), Hank Parker, anyone who is from Nascar and has a hunting show, etc.

Where did you get this information? I don't doubt some do but don't go calling out the Nuge without some facts. Uncle Ted shoots does and small bucks all the time on his show, I doubt he needs a high fence for that.

The Nudge for sure hunts high fences. Rule #1. If they are hunting in Texas, it is a very good chance they are hunting high fences. They aren't going to have exotic species on the ranch without a high fence. Next time google the ranch that he is hunting.

As far as the meat...I've often wondered about what they do with all the meat. I suppose the camera guy gets some and all of the people listed at the end of the show that helped produce the show.

Nels

Where did you get this information? I don't doubt some do but don't go calling out the Nuge without some facts. Uncle Ted shoots does and small bucks all the time on his show, I doubt he needs a high fence for that.

I really could care less if they hunt fenced areas. I do know that some do it the non fence way as I have watched shows on the Milk River in Montana and I have hunted there. Plenty of very nice bucks abound.

I find it hard to believe that all of Teds hunts are in fences as he has shot some fairley small doe and bucks. One can whack them almost anywhere. As far as the exotics go, yes they probably do as one would fine them hard to hunt in the open country when there are none.

If I can learn a few things from the show, a fence really does not matter to me.

I like to read many of the archery hunting mags I get monthly for the new preoducts and new techniques.

Yeah, I can't really say I've lost any respect for Ted or anyone because they hunt high fence ranches, especially if they make no apologies for it. It's the guys who pretend they're hunting the outback that get me, but then again that's their choice. As for Ted, watch the show and he doesn't point it out when he's hunting high fence, but you can pretty much figure it out and he doesn't try to hide it.

One thing I like about Ted is he likes killing DEER, not a big buck. He's out for backstraps and the antlers are gravy. I saw a Lee and Tiffany show where they had the lead singer of Rascal Flats on and he didn't get a buck because he had to wait and take one in a very high point range. That's ridiculous the first time you invite someone to your property that likely doesn't have a lot of bucks under his belt.

Back to the high fences. There is a difference between a high fence ranch of several thousand acres and pen consisting of a few acres. The latter is kind of silly but the first not so much in my opinion. I still kick myself for not hunting a high fence operation of thousands of acres across the mountanside in Maui when I was there. I used to be all uptight about fences but I read an article by the editor of Bowhunting magazine that hunted there that changed my mind. There are degrees of difference.

Many of Nuge's hunts are high fence, including hunts in which he shoots small bucks and does. Both his ranch in Michigan and his ranch in Texas are high fenced.

Straigt from his HSOforum about his Michigan property:

"In 1970, Ted Nugent began accumulating wild Michigan hunting ground. 27 years later the sportsman's dream is SUNRIZE ACRES! 340 acres of perfect big game habitat, rich with wildlife and the Spirit of the Wild. Managed for optimum health and indigenous bio-diversity, world class trophy whitetail deer, wild boar, American buffalo & exotics abound. Book an adventure on the Nugent Tribe's traditional HuntGrounds for the thrill of your life. Our rustic cabin is available and hunts are booked year round."

Also, anytime there are exotic species, there is a high fence involved. Blackbuck, Auodad, etc. are not native to Texas. He has also shown big money hunts for monster whitetails inside fences. A simple google search will turn up alot of info.

I'm not trying to run him down at all, just stating facts. To each their own.

I saw a Lee and Tiffany show where they had the lead singer of Rascal Flats on and he didn't get a buck because he had to wait and take one in a very high point range. That's ridiculous the first time you invite someone to your property that likely doesn't have a lot of bucks under his belt.

Back to the high fences. There is a difference between a high fence ranch of several thousand acres and pen consisting of a few acres. The latter is kind of silly but the first not so much in my opinion. I still kick myself for not hunting a high fence operation of thousands of acres across the mountanside in Maui when I was there. I used to be all uptight about fences but I read an article by the editor of Bowhunting magazine that hunted there that changed my mind. There are degrees of difference.

Again, just to clarify, Gary Levox (the lead singer for Rascal Flatts) has hunted with the Lakosky's in Iowa on several occaisions. In fact, he just put the hammer down on a giant with them again last week (internet search will turn up pictures). Passing up small bucks is what the Laksoky's do, and they do a great job of it. I am 99.9% sure that everyone who hunts with the Laksoky's is fully aware of their standards before ever setting foot on their property and is okay with it. In fact, most people who I see hunting with the Laksoky's have a history of shooting big deer already and have their own set of similar standards.

As to high fenced properties being different, I would agree to a point. I see a big fundamental difference as much in the management as I do the size (albeit size is a huge factor). When deer are being brought in because of their big antlers, and does are artificially inseminated, and deer are being given shots and hormones, there is nothing natural about that - no matter the size of the enclosed property. Personally, I don't like the idea of any fences for many reasons, but obviously once you start looking at properties that are 10,000+ acres and fenced there is a difference from Uncle Ted's 340 acres or some of these 10 acre properties.

Originally Posted By: deerminator
I saw a Lee and Tiffany show where they had the lead singer of Rascal Flats on and he didn't get a buck because he had to wait and take one in a very high point range. That's ridiculous the first time you invite someone to your property that likely doesn't have a lot of bucks under his belt.

Again, just to clarify, Gary Levox (the lead singer for Rascal Flatts) has hunted with the Lakosky's in Iowa on several occaisions. In fact, he just put the hammer down on a giant with them again last week (internet search will turn up pictures). Passing up small bucks is what the Laksoky's do, and they do a great job of it. I am 99.9% sure that everyone who hunts with the Laksoky's is fully aware of their standards before ever setting foot on their property and is okay with it. In fact, most people who I see hunting with the Laksoky's have a history of shooting big deer already and have their own set of similar standards.

As to high fenced properties being different, I would agree to a point. I see a big fundamental difference as much in the management as I do the size (albeit size is a huge factor). When deer are being brought in because of their big antlers, and does are artificially inseminated, and deer are being given shots and hormones, there is nothing natural about that - no matter the size of the enclosed property. Personally, I don't like the idea of any fences for many reasons, but obviously once you start looking at properties that are 10,000+ acres and fenced there is a difference from Uncle Ted's 340 acres or some of these 10 acre properties.

That's different then as I didn't know that. If that works for them, it works for them. Just not a big fan personally of telling people I invite to hunt you can only shoot this or that as long as its legal. As for Ted, if he wants to shoot lots of "little" deer and that works for him, then good for him too.