• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help us clear up license/permit confusion

sparkyaber

I would like some clarification on bow hunting and gun hunting permits and licenses.

My friends and I are lucky enough to have private hunting land in a few different places around the state. Two are in managed areas and one is an intensive harvest area. We all bought our bow license and one bonus tag. We also plan on getting our gun license.

The one thing that is perfectly clear is we are only allowed one buck regardless of method of taking it (bow or gun). The way I read it is that I am allowed to take 2 deer in the managed areas, and up to 5 in intensive harvest, is that correct? So theoretically, we could take 7 deer from two areas? Two of the deer could be on the either sex tag (only one could be a buck), and then one bonus in the managed area, and four more in the intensive harvest area, as long as they are all does?

As soon as I take two deer from one managed area I would be done there, but how about the other managed area? I am assuming I would be done there also?

So far two of us have taken one deer each with our bonus tag in one of the managed areas. If I arrow one more deer in that area (using my either sex tag), gun would be off limits there? How about the other managed area? Could I gun hunt there? What about a bonus there? Can I now go an buy another bonus tag and take a doe in the intensive harvest area?

I am sure I will have more questions as we begin to clear this up. The three of us have read the regs a few times and we are still having problems figuring this out.

Thanks

Page 70 of the big game laws is the only place I found a state bag limit and it say's it is 5 total unless you participated in the early antlerless season wich was for 2 does. That said if you hunt the metro zone 601 it is unlimited antlerless or special bovine TB area, kinda cloudy the way they write in this years laws but you are right about only one buck a year.

If you fill your 2 tags in a managed area you still can buy 3 more antlerless tags and fill them in a intensive area.

I'm not 100% sure on this but if you have taken 2 deer out of one managed zone i'm sure you are done for all others and would have to go hunt a intensive ares.

It makes sense to only be able to harvest 5 deer. That is a ton of meat. I am looking at page 70 and still it is not clear about a state wide bag limit. I don't plan on taking that many deer, but I really don't want to tag something with a wrong tag, or use a primary tag when I could have used a bonus tag, etc

So, if I don't shoot another deer I can buy a gun license and shoot either sex in either the managed or intensive area.

I can now buy another bonus tag and arrow an antler-less deer in an intensive area?

Maybe I should just shoot a big buck with my archery tag, arrow one big doe in the intensive and be done... gringringrin

The way I understand it(lou, correct me if I am wrong) is you can only harvest up to 5 deer total. More antlerless in Area 601 (metro zone unlimited antlerless and does not count to the state wide bag limit).

So no you can not take 7 in your two areas!

1. Once you have harvested 2 deer in a MANAGED area you are done for all methods in all MANAGED areas statewide!

2. If you used your either sex tag on a doe during archery in the MANAGED area you may still shoot a buck during firearms or muzzeloader season in an INTENSIVE or LOTTERY area, but you are done buck hunting with archery in any area statewide.

I hope that clears things up for you.

Thanks for asking and being a responsible hunter.

Anyfish, that does help, and that is what I was thinking all along. I just have to jam it into my buddies brain that you can't kill two deer in one managed area with a bow and then go to a different managed area with a gun and take another.

Thanks

ok now i am confused,i am hunting in a managed area and haven't shot anything yet can i just go by a bonus tag now so i will have my original either sex tag to save for a buck and if i shoot a doe i can use the bonus tag for her?or do i have to use the either sex tag first then go buy a bonus tag for another doe?

When I buy my archery license I ALWAYS buy a bonus tag since one day i might travel to an management or intesive harvest area and if i tag a doe i use the bonus tag. if for some reason i havent used it up i can still use the bonus tag during firearms season

a bonus permit you can use during bow or firearms and if you tag a doe and you are in management or intensive i recommend you use that one first that way your main tag can be used on a buck or another doe if in management area.

if im in intensive and (havent yet) if i were to use up my first bonus tag when i register the deer i get another bonus tag. I usually have bonus tags left over ha ha.

in an lottery harvest area when BOWHUNTING whatever you kill you have to tag with your main license since your main license in a lottery area is good for either 1 buck or 1 doe but only 1 no bonus permit.

management Main license is good for a buck or a doe and you get one extra bonus permit that you can purchase and use on DOE only

Intensive - main license is good on a buck or a doe and you can buy up to 4 more bonus permits that are good only on does

The way I understand it(lou, correct me if I am wrong) is you can only harvest up to 5 deer total. More antlerless in Area 601 (metro zone unlimited antlerless and does not count to the state wide bag limit).

So no you can not take 7 in your two areas!

1. Once you have harvested 2 deer in a MANAGED area you are done for all methods in all MANAGED areas statewide!

2. If you used your either sex tag on a doe during archery in the MANAGED area you may still shoot a buck during firearms or muzzeloader season in an INTENSIVE or LOTTERY area, but you are done buck hunting with archery in any area statewide.

I hope that clears things up for you.

Thanks for asking and being a responsible hunter.

Correct! I actually added that to the 2009 deer season information booklet after a discussion on this board. Here it is again: 2009 Deer Season Information. Skip to page 8 and you'll learn more than you need regarding bag limits.

Lou

thank you,i am picking up a tag on my way to my stand this morning.

Don't plan on using that tag this morning, you need to wait 48 hours, well I think the regs say two days, until you use it. This keeps people from buying a tag after they shoot a doe, I am guessing.

This is sort of the same question. I bowhunt and gun hunt, the area we gun hunt is managed so i have my one extra tag, so when gun hunting if i fill my buck tag, then my doe tag, am i still able to use my bow tag in a different area of the state, that area would be a loto zone? I know i would have to shoot a doe but am confused some. Since they dropped the all season license im confused.

I believe bonus tags are immediately valid.

License Purchase and Validity

All deer licenses (archery, firearms, muzzleloader) may be purchased at any time before or during the season. However, a license purchased on or after the day the respective season opens is not valid until the second day after the day it is issued (for example, a license issued on Saturday would not be valid until Monday). A “day” meansmidnight to midnight. The “respective season” refers to the first seasonfor which the license is valid. The exceptions are bonus, early antlerless,and disease management permits, which are valid when issued if the appropriate regular license is valid.

This is sort of the same question. I bowhunt and gun hunt, the area we gun hunt is managed so i have my one extra tag, so when gun hunting if i fill my buck tag, then my doe tag, am i still able to use my bow tag in a different area of the state, that area would be a loto zone? I know i would have to shoot a doe but am confused some. Since they dropped the all season license im confused.

As I understand it, you would be able to use your archery license in the loto area, and could not use it in any other managed area.

Check that link out provided above, it is written pretty well and I am going to print it off to show my friend.

Originally Posted By: mudslinger64
thank you,i am picking up a tag on my way to my stand this morning.

Don't plan on using that tag this morning, you need to wait 48 hours, well I think the regs say two days, until you use it. This keeps people from buying a tag after they shoot a doe, I am guessing.

You don't need to wait 2 days on a bonus permit. They're valid right away. Just don't kill the deer before you buy the permit!