• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha F-115 using Oil

Northlander

Hey guys anyone have this motor and see it using oil? I cant seem to find where it could be going. No burn off residue or any leaks any place at all. Im running Amsoil 4 stroke 10W- 30.

Just started happening a while back. Goes through about 1/4th quart every 2 weeks or so. More if I troll with it a lot wich I do quite often.

No big deal but gets expensive. I got a 4 stroke so I didnt have to worry about oil issues.

Boatfixer, Airjer any ideas for me to check out?

Boatfixer, Airjer any ideas for me to check out?

Well, I'm not them, but will throw my .02 cents in smile

That's a tough problem to pin point. I suspect you're not seeing it burning off, but I suspect that's where it's going as a leak would be more obvious or easier to see.

marine_man

Sorry Marine Man I should have included you of course. Im not seeing any place with any burn off or leakage. Maybe a bit at the exhaust but not enough for me to be able to say 100% thats where its going and no more than I ever had. That I can remember anyways.

Just wierd.

Plugs look fine. I run my motor almost daily and lately have been trolling 8-10 hours a day with it. I have no idea how many hours on it. In a 2 weeks time I guess Im in the 80-100 hour range. Dependent on weather of course.

Im just wondering if its all the trolling I have done with it this year?

Even the smallest amount of leakage will add up to alot of oil after 100 hours, and probably won't even be noticable. I'm guessing its coming from the rings/cylinders. Its probably normal, just most people don't notice it because they don't even run the motor 100 hours in a year.

If it was a car, 100 hours would be 2000 to 3000 miles or so. Hard to imagine complaining about a car that used 1/4 qt in 2000 miles. In fact it is plausible that it wouldn't even be noticed.

Has it just started? How many hours on the motor?

What does yamaha recomend for oil changes is it at every 100 hours or longer?That much trolling you should be running ring free in your fuel every other tank or so.How about temp. is it running proper temp. Check with your local yamaha dealer he should be able to call technical service and see if they have seen any problems with the oil you are useing just something you could check out

I just serviced a 2002 115 that had 112 hrs on it from this summer and it was maybe 1/4 of the way down from full. I have serviced this particular engine for the last 5 years so I know it was full last year after changing the oil and filter. You could do a leak down test or have it done just to find out for sure.

Ya my motor is also a 2002. Im not sure on the hours guys but I know I get out 5-7 days a week and troll all day most of the time.

Ill call around and see what the shops around here think. My oil gets changed in the spring, early to mid July and then before I winterize. Along with plugs and lower unit and oil filter. I know I put a lot of hours on the motor so I try and treat it as good as I can. Ill run some more ring free. I havent done that since late July. This was a issue then as well but not as bad.

For as much trolling as you're doing Steve, if you can swing it, I don't see any reason not to run ring free continuously.

Use the shock treatment when you run it this time, but then I'd run ring free every tank and see if that improves things.

marine_man

Steve,

I had that same motor last year. My problem wasn't using oil but making it when trolling on the big lake. I bought the T8 and never looked back. Cured all that issue. When I sold that boat, the guy definitely wanted the kicker and I got the full money out of it.

For a guy that trolls as much as you do, you will pay for a T8 in no time, not to mention the redunancy factor on the big lake. Troll all day on a couple cups of gas. Just think how many hours less your 115 would have...you should be able to get a good deal on one now at the local dealers if they have any left. You will get your money out of it when you sell the boat or you can always keep it for the new boat, really a win-win. Also, running ring free with every tank of gas is recommended by Yamaha and the local mechanics say especially if trolling for extended periods.

Good luck!

Ive been looking for a used T-8 for years. Problem is everyone wants blood for them. No dealers that I talked to even have any T-8 anymore. Yamaha is going to the T-9.9 now.

Oh well sooner or later some used 4 stroke kicker will show up.

I wont be running ring free every tank at the price they ask for it. Maybe 1 out of every 3 or something. Man that stuff must be liquid gold. I know its good but come on!

I second marine man I have seen ring free or mercury quickleen really help a motor out and you should run it in every tank of fuel.How many total hours do you have on your motor?

No clue how many. Im sure its plenty since my boat gets used a ton and I troll a lot once late June comes along.