• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using an outboard in sub freezing weather?

MuskieJunkie

After pulling your boat out of the water in 30/40 degree weather is it best to just let the water drain out of the motor or does anyone go so far as to run the motor to clear all the water out.

I'm thinking I'll turn off the kill switch and hit the starter to clear it out. I would be willing to actually start the motor for a couple of seconds to make sure all the water is out if it's safe to do.

Outboards are designed to drain away all excess water when they are removed from the water and stored vertically. It does nothing to run the motor out of the water since the impeller needs water to create flow, it does nothing but put premature wear on the impeller.

nothing kills a water pump faster than ice when starting it the next time.

Actually, repeated running for 10 seconds out of the water will kill a water pump faster than ice.... the impeller housing drains when the lower unit is out of the water.

marine_man

If it's close to freezing temps I always trim my motors down all the way and leave them down for a while so the water runs out.

If it's really cold I will hit the key just long enough to turn the motor over a time or two to aid in clearing out any water still in there.

Exactly. On late fall trips to Rainy River I learned to do this very quickly. I had my pee line freeze up a few times and learned this was the way to cure the problem. Its basically hitting the key on and off with no time in between to do any damage. Like I said though I dont do it unless its at freezing temps. I think this is better than my pee hole not peeing.

I like to make sure that before I load my boat that I have fully warmed up my motor so when I load the boat and drop the motor down it is still warm and that way all the water will drain out. I also will make sure that my electric motor has no water in the back of the prop. It takes a few twist and turns and a few shakes to get all of the water out.

Thanks guys, good to know that the motor is desinged to properly drain itself and not trap water.

I like to make sure that before I load my boat that I have fully warmed up my motor so when I load the boat and drop the motor down it is still warm and that way all the water will drain out.

Good tip, thanks Jim.

i use my motor all winter as do other guys that fish pool 4 every one that i know runs there motor for a few seconds after pulling it out to clear water from impeller been doing this for years. but if your afraid of hurting your impeller don't.