• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Storing boat outside over the winter questions?

hoggs222

I have a 17' Lund with a custom cover that I would like to keep in good shape. I'm out of work and don't have the $ I did last year. $200 is $200. (I used to pay for barn storage)

Any advice on the following questions or any other tips?

How do I keep the cover from getting messed up? (The cover has a support pole in the front and back and also has a cover over the top of the motor.

Do I just use the same precautions that I would for pests if I was to store indoors?

Any ideas on what to do to the motor, trailer, etc?

I stored mine outside for the first time last winter. I put the tarp on and the poles underneath. I had no snow issues at all. I would also pull the plug just incase of a rain storm or something like that.

I would also change your lower unit oil and put RV anti-freeze in the livewell for the pump lines and pump.

I would also remove the prop if the storage area is not secure.

I also fogged my motor.

I also add Sta-vil to my gas in the tank and fill it up to reduce any condensation in the tank.

I sat my tires on a 2x4 so they did not sit on the dirt. Crank the front of the boat up on the trailer so if some water gets into the bottom of the boat it can drain.

I would also pull your batteries out of the boat.

This seemed to work fine for me last winter

I also added scented dryer sheets incase a few smaller critters thought they also might make it their winter home. No issues with that at all. One can use mothballs but they seem to leave a bit more on the smell end.

Maybe someone will chme in with more.

The boat will be ok sitting outside.

Harvey Lee's right on here... be sure to check out the winterizing thread stickied at the top for more info on winterizing your motor.

I'd be inclined (if you can spare it) to pick up a blue tarp that you can put over your current cover to give your current cover a little longer life and easier time over the winter.

Be sure to clean off any excess snow when it starts to build up to save you cover from collapsing.

marine_man

Snow adds alot of weight, so you may want to get some PVC pipe or 2x4's and build a support frame that supports the area between the two support poles. Also I would sweep whatever snow accumulates off after each snow storm. And clean off whatever leaves may accumulate so they don't stain.

Some people don't like the smell of mothballs, dryer sheets also work. Put some in every compartment.

Also I would try and prop open as many lids on the compartments as you can to keep air circulating.

Pull the drain plug if your worried water might leak in somewhere and if you do I would stuff a little steel wool into so critters can't get in.

Some people like to put the tires on a block of wood so they don't sit on bare ground all winter, me personally I just make sure they are up to the correct pressure and give the bearings a couple shot of grease if they are low. Also throw a little WD40 on moving parts like the hitch and swing away tongue. Choke the wheels properly and you should be good.

Remove prop so thieves can't get ahold of it and maybe even remove the spare tire if it is easy to remove.

With a costom cover I would build a frame over the boat and throw a poly tarp over. The snow will slide of the tarp more readily than the costom cover as it is more slick and be at a steeper angle on the sides. Be sure to weight or tie down tarp to pull out any slack as to prevent pockets for snow to sit.

I would be concerned with a costom cover to the eliments over winter. Sure it will be fine but it will shorten the life of it. At least throw a tarp over it, costoms are not cheap as I am sure you know.

Like said before open compartments, dryer sheet, pull batteries or plug a good onboard charger to them and pull the drain plug.

I throw an 5#'s of charcoal in a couple of buckets in the boat to soak up humidity seems to help.

I built a 2x4 frame that sits on gunwales of boat and forms a upside down V. I put a blue tarp over it and tie down. It keeps the snow weight off and snow slides off. I store the good cover inside for summer.

yup, that's what I used to do when storing outdoors. Worked great.

It should be okay, but I will say there is a difference between indoor and outdoor winter storage. My old boat sat in our attached garage every year but one. The one year it sat outside made it very difficult to start the following spring. Followed the same winterizing procedures too, which included most of what was listed above. Of course this was on an old carb'd 2 stroke, so it may not apply.

I would make sure you add a tarp on top of your custom cover. Cover the whole thing so you don't trap snow/water in between. The UV exposure is tough on those nice custom covers. Well worth the $20 or $30 to buy a heavy duty tarp.

ya that sun is hard on eveything

you can pick up one of those big blue tarps at fleet pretty reasonalbly

i'd be sure the tires are covered to

i'm buying one of those big tents type deals this year my new boat is to big for the garage its 500$ but like you said its at least 200 to store it just for one yr so this should last awhile

i think as long as you cover every thing and drain everything good

its ok