• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A dapper gent of an Agate indeed: Red, Butterscotch and Burnt Orange Orifi & the sinuous swerves from tip to tip remind one of a Candy cane...lol - it looks like a big jolly Claus Agate. Gotta love the output of the Lake Superior Agate formation; that must've been a day chocked full of luck to find something like that; we don't find many of those on sandbars in the Ohioan front...lol - that's definitely an Agate to keepsake.

Makes ya wanna buy a gravel pit!

That agate is top shelf for sure. You gotta put in lots of time to find one like that..or just get darn lucky. Putting a price on it would be hard...I wouldn't sell it and I don't think he will either. Finding someone to actually offer cash is another story. I couldn't see it selling for less than $1000-$1500 anyway....the right person may offer more.

Now that's a beauty. Much bigger than anything I found during my mineral days along the North Shore and inland.

I've been getting the agate itch lately. Got out the mineral guides and agate book yesterday and pored over them. May have to make a jaunt down to Carlton County next week and look over the gravel roads.

Can a fella still get into gravel pits there without a hassle, or are those days long gone?

Getting permission is getting tuff but all you can do is ask...then beg, pleed, cry, offer your first born etc.

Don't forget the creek and river beds where they run through gravel areas. Open fields with gravel showing in the spring have produced very nice rocks too.

You're newest output from the Billy Goat Gruff steep of an outcrop you were cliffhanging on are swell; nice palm stone gems. I liked ET and "The Respectable Chunk" piece.... nice bags though. Gravel Runs are a blast; it would be nice to find a Sill or a Seam of Agate for once though - imagine naming you're own Eggs and having total dibs on the area's yield.

I have found some large ones, but not many. I think that you need to look in large rocks to find large Agates and that is where I have found my largest ones. Once I was building a waterfall in a persons back yard and I had a load of Stone delivered for the job and while sorting through the smaller rocks I found a softball sized Agate. I would love to go Billy goatin some time with dark30.

Chris

I am afraid that I could not show you many spots around our homes for billy goatin you do not already know of and probably haunt. Up by my cabin that would be another story. Hunting the Morels and fishing we probably have different spots. Do you do Horseradish too?

Chris