• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow mounted video camera??

Has anyone tried to film there own hunt by using a bow mounted camera. I have seen many different kinds of mounts. Anything from using the stabilizer hole, to a mount that uses a clamp. I would think that the stabilizer hole one would be the best option, being able to mount the stabilizer, and the camera. I have a very compact camera, so weight added to the bow would be at a minimum.

Any thoughts on these?

The problem with these is that most of the time you end up droping your bow arm too soon and all you get is a picture of the deer when you are trying to get your pin on them once you release you lose the deer in the video. I have used the tree arm and have good with videos with it.

I have been doing some research on the camera subject, and found a neat little helmet cam that you can attach with a strap to your head. I think that that would be an even better option than the arm attached to the tree or stand. The ones that I have looked at only weigh a few ounces, and aren't that expensive. They have the SD card option with them to increase the amount of footage you can take with the camera.

Any thoughts on these?

If you want good video and a good hit I'd stick with the tree mount camera arm. Trying to keep a deer in the frame with a stabilizer mount will very likely play games with your grip causing unfamiliar torque. With a tree arm when you prepare to shoot don't zoom in too tight and after the shot you will sometimes be able to track the deer. Making a good hit is always the main goal but a tree arm will ensure a good stable picture that you can review to confirm shot placement. I could argue the tree arms are better all day. There are plenty reasons you don't see guys self-filming with stabilizer mounts on tv.

If you want good video and a good hit I'd stick with the tree mount camera arm. Trying to keep a deer in the frame with a stabilizer mount will very likely play games with your grip causing unfamiliar torque. With a tree arm when you prepare to shoot don't zoom in too tight and after the shot you will sometimes be able to track the deer. Making a good hit is always the main goal but a tree arm will ensure a good stable picture that you can review to confirm shot placement. I could argue the tree arms are better all day. There are plenty reasons you don't see guys self-filming with stabilizer mounts on tv.

Yes, it makes sense and have thrown that idea out. With my last post, I have found a camera that can be mounted on my head instead of the bow or on an arm mounted on the stand or tree.

The problem that I see, and have experienced with the arm mounted camera, weather on the tree or the stand, is that you have to take you hand away from your bow to keep adjusting the camera angle, and position.

I think that the camera mounted on my cap, or strapped to my head would be a better option. The camera will be positioned to where ever I am looking, and don't have to worry about it being in the correct location when I am ready to shot.

http://joby.com/gorillapod

I tried it this past week, works great if you have a branch to wrap it around with your camera attached. Then you just turn it on and have it set to record video when the deer come, then press record. It also will attach to your tree stand seat as long as you aren't using it. Just have the seat folded up and pre-set the tripod (yes you have to stand), then you can easily press the buttons to record without too much visible arm movement.

A buddy showed me the Epic Video Camera. Ralph and Vicki Cianciarillo use it as does Fred Eichler. I see Cabela's has them for about $150. It also comes with a couple different mounting brackets. I'm thinking I might try it out.

Brian

A buddy showed me the Epic Video Camera. Ralph and Vicki Cianciarillo use it as does Fred Eichler. I see Cabela's has them for about $150. It also comes with a couple different mounting brackets. I'm thinking I might try it out.

Brian

I purchased the epic at Gander Sunday evening. They are on sale right now for a limited time for $129.99 with all the attachments, 2 AA batteries, and the SD card. I have 30 days to try it, and if I am not satisfied with the performance of it, I can return it.

I will give it a try, and see how good it is. I will have my back-up small standard video camera, just in case the epic doesn't work out. The only thing that I don't like about using my standard camera, is that it isn't waterproof. I do have an arm attached to my stand right now, and have used it before, so it will be there if I need it.

I will see what happens with the epic.

I figured I would post these here as well. This is from my trip last week to Montana. Canon SD800 IS point and shoot type digital camera mounted on a Gorillapod. Two of the clips I had it wrapped around a tree branch and I set it to record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR12QZGnqq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtN9ioUuM94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXv0Q_3-Ejw

Never got to try the camera out at Ripley. Weather was horible, and the deer movement was down. I will let you know when I use it, and if I like the performance. I am hoping to use it up north first part of Nov. I will still be bow hunting, even though the rest of my party will be rifle hunting.