• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Great morning to be in the tree!.

bmc

With my 11 year old daughter bowhunting this year, I'm gonna have to do more morning hunting, so I get a little "me" time. LOL

My dad and I got out this morning and saw 14 different deer between the two of us! It was nice to wake up to temps in the 30's and frost on the windshield of my truck.

My new spot is about 60-70 yards south of a corner of our ATV trail. Over the years we've seen alot of deer "cut this corner". My stand is on a little oak flat about 50 yards off of a powerline. I've got three deer trails that narrow down into one and cross the corner of the ATV trail.

I got in the my stand at 20 after 6 and at 7:40 I see a deer heading towards the corner, from the power line. The deer is to my right so I grab my bow and it steps into my shooting lane at 25 yds. I come to full draw and see it's a big doe, then I see movement behind it. Assuming it's a fawn, I let down because I pass on doe's that have fawns.

To my suprise it's a second big doe. She stops at 22 yds right in my shooting lane. I come to full draw, settle the pin on her heart and shoot low..... I'm pretty sure my string hit my sleeve. Grrrrrrrrrr!!! crazy Because it was windy, they both hang around and I knocked another arrow, but I never got another chance. They feed off through the corner and I sit back down.

No sooner do I sit down and here comes a chunky little spike buck out in front of me. His spikes were about 3" long and very dark and sharp looking. For a split second I think about redeeming myself, but decide to let him walk. He disappears through the corner and 15 minutes later he comes running back and stops in my right shooting lane at 15 yds, looking away no less.........TEMPTING.......especially after the miss, and it seems he has a death wish. grin Something has his attention to the north, hoiping it's a bigger buck, I get ready and see 6 deer cross the ATV trail. He let's his guard down and feeds off.

My dad also saw 5 different deer this morning in the hardwoods including a bigger spike buck.

Great way to start my season, even with the miss!

Brian

Oh it would have been an awesome morning, looks like you and your dad had a great morning Brian. South wind tonight makes it PERFECT for a stand I don't get to hunt too often.. Sadly my gal is working a 12 hour shift today and I'll be rasing heck with my kids, not a bad trade off I guess grin

Sounds like you're in a good spot!! You'll get em next time. At least it was a clean miss. Glad you didn't have to try to chase a wounded deer. That's never fun. I can't think of anything better than bowhunting. Whether its talking about it or being out there, there's nothing I'd rather do!!